Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Turning a New Leaf

Irie recently wrote in a thread (sorry couldnt find the link)

"If you don't keep stats, nothing else matters"
Old 04-05-2005, 11:31 PM

I've been getting my feet wet on the 60s turbos on stars (after forever at the 27sn turbos and 33s). I got sucked out on the bubble tonight and instead of thinking "wow, I played perfect poker and just got sucked out...that sucks" I instead thought, "wow, My ROI is gonna take a big hit because of the buy-in differential"

I agree, its madening. ROI fanatics (myself included Im sure) are like grade grubbers...they dont get an education for its own sake, but for the A at the end.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:32 PM

oh yugo. what has become of you? please dont get disgruntled with your results. results in poker are meaningless, you know this. you are a super intelligent person, and you know that to take poker seriously, you must keep records.

maybe.. a week off or so from your statistics will make you feel better, but you know you are a winning player. you make winning decisions, and put yourself in winning situations. ive looked at your hhs, ive talked to you about strategy, and i KNOW you are a winning player. maybe all you need is a break. take a few days off. fly to dallas, play 1-2 NL with a bunch of idiots, (me included), make bank, and head home happy feeling refreshed and ready to go at the sngs again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Irie recently wrote in a thread (sorry couldnt find the link)

"If you don't keep stats, nothing else matters"

[/ QUOTE ]

heh! Tell that to my new Benz!

(yeah, its a matchbox car....PAYED FOR BY SNG LOOT BIATCH)
Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 PM

Dude, I said I was chuckin' the spreadsheet.....not quitting poker, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I will not pretend that I'll *never* compute statistics on my results again. But I need to experience what not having them is like.

Someone recently mentioned this quote to me.....I think it's fitting:

"He who will not apply new remedies must expect old evils." -Francis Bacon

Yugoslav
Old 04-05-2005, 11:48 PM

I have been playing sngs for a large part of a year now, and never ever have bothered to keep stats. I tried for a week or two to input my results into PT, but staring at my data just turned my focus away from where it was really important:my game. I honestly feel that this whole forum is way too obsesed with stats like ROI and not enough at getting better at the game you play.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing sngs for a large part of a year now, and never ever have bothered to keep stats. I tried for a week or two to input my results into PT, but staring at my data just turned my focus away from where it was really important:my game. I honestly feel that this whole forum is way too obsesed with stats like ROI and not enough at getting better at the game you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that many people are overly obsessed about short term stats and place too much emphasis on their ROI over 100 SNGs only, etc.

But I feel you are doing yourself a great diservice by not keeping stats. In many ways it is tantamime to only looking at one of your holecards when more information is readily available to you.

In a game of incomplete information there is no reason to handicap yourself on a consistent basis...on or off thet table.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 AM

what edge to these statistics provide?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:06 AM

people definitely put way too much emphasis on short term statistics. WAY too much. i finally got thru my first 101 215s, with an roi at 23.4% and an itm at 40.6%. does this mean that i should jump up and start 12 tabling them? hell no. it doesnt even mean i can beat them. all it means is i was running well for a day and made some money. does it give me hope? of course it does, but im not gonna write home about it. holla
Old 04-06-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I said I was chuckin' the spreadsheet.....not quitting poker, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I will not pretend that I'll *never* compute statistics on my results again. But I need to experience what not having them is like.

Someone recently mentioned this quote to me.....I think it's fitting:

"He who will not apply new remedies must expect old evils." -Francis Bacon

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

. . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . .everything tastes better with bacon. .