Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Civilization IV, Baddest Beat of my Life

[ QUOTE ]
I know the vid card issues are legit, but I've seen some nutty or just ignorant complaints, too. People complaining that they can't play anything bigger than a small map without experiencing lag ... when they have only 256 meg of RAM in their system and onboard video. That was too little to run Civ 2 without hitches, years and years ago. Some people also expect to max out their visual settings in a game and crank the resolution to 1600x1200 and can't believe the game doesn't run smoothly when they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

All my graphics resolutions are set to the lowest possible setting, running it on a year-old Pentium (admittedly not one made for gaming) with a gig of ram.

I'm not bitching about not being able to run really large worlds on it -- not much, at least. I *am* bitching that there were a bunch of assholes pre-patch claiming that the reason it wouldn't run had nothing to do with Firaxis screwups, that it was all us. Yeah, I get dark terrain playing the normal game, but in the global editor I can see everything just fine . . . sure, all my fault. Shees.

BTW you could run CivII on 256meg of ram -- or even less -- without many problems at all. I know I did. This new puppy is a hog. Fantastic game, though. All my old strategies just got tossed out the window . . .
Old 12-19-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You were waiting on a patch to play? Hmm.. one of those guys with video card problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

No vid card problems- just the memory leak. The end game becomes incredibly tedious- it takes forever to scroll in and out, move around the map, etc. Even a freshly loaded save game is bad, but if you play it in one sitting it becomes completely unplayable eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a memory leak fix here. Even if you have a high end machine, this fix helps a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice...thanks! I will give it a shot.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know the vid card issues are legit, but I've seen some nutty or just ignorant complaints, too. People complaining that they can't play anything bigger than a small map without experiencing lag ... when they have only 256 meg of RAM in their system and onboard video. That was too little to run Civ 2 without hitches, years and years ago. Some people also expect to max out their visual settings in a game and crank the resolution to 1600x1200 and can't believe the game doesn't run smoothly when they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

All my graphics resolutions are set to the lowest possible setting, running it on a year-old Pentium (admittedly not one made for gaming) with a gig of ram.

I'm not bitching about not being able to run really large worlds on it -- not much, at least. I *am* bitching that there were a bunch of assholes pre-patch claiming that the reason it wouldn't run had nothing to do with Firaxis screwups, that it was all us. Yeah, I get dark terrain playing the normal game, but in the global editor I can see everything just fine . . . sure, all my fault. Shees.

BTW you could run CivII on 256meg of ram -- or even less -- without many problems at all. I know I did. This new puppy is a hog. Fantastic game, though. All my old strategies just got tossed out the window . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on the crap that fanboys spew about there being nothing wrong with a game as long as they can run it. Game fanboys are among the most degenerate species of mankind, not quite as bad as child molesting priests, but they'll probably grow up to be them or, if already adult, probably admire them.

Not with you on the 256 RAM being okay for Civ 2 though. I ran it on a very nice machine for the time with a gig of RAM and still found very notable hitches when panning across the screen. A gig of RAM for strat games with lots of units, and RTS's, has been standard for years now, since well before Starcraft.

Many people claimed basically if there machine wouldn't freeze up totally that it ran any game fine. These buggers were accursed wretches when they joined a multiplayer game online and bogged it down to a crawl, claiming it wasn't them and their machine was fine. For a huge number of people, admitting their machine is underpowered is tantamount to publicly broadcasting that they have a tiny penis. This is as it was, is, and ever shall be.

I seriously wouldn't expect smooth play out of any game these days with less than a gig of RAM, and that prescription goes back all the way to my Total Annihilation days in what, 1997 I think. Now that is one long, long ass time, centuries in gaming years.

Back then computers still had a touch of the DOS to them and had a geek and afficionado vibe, not a mom and pop thing nearly as much as today. It hadn't been long since computers were a totally geek thing. People expected you needed some savvy and a good system to play games. Now I think it's more common that people just assume that any computer can play anything and even get angry at the game if it doesn't. Me, when I see Civ 4 recommending 256 megs of RAM to play, I laugh. And at the recommended specs, I'm still laughing.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

I got the original Civ as a graduation present from elementary school and have never been so hooked on a game in my life (except maybe Doom). I still remember a game I played where I was the Americans, and took over the Americas and Africa, before running into the Indians, who were the dominant force in Eurasia. They were pretty f-ing big, so I bided my time and built my spaceship, and everything was going great until...

THAT BASTARD GANDHI SNEAK-ATTACKED ME WITH A NUCLEAR BOMB!!!! MAHATMA [censored] GANDHI!!!

My life hasn't been the same since.

In Civ IV, is there any way to start a normal-ass game on Earth like in previous games? I've always enjoyed playing games with all Civs starting in their historical homes, but I can't figure out how to do this. When I load up the Earth map, the only starting Civs it will allow are those in Europe or Asia - all "old world" Civs. I want to renew my America vs. India fight, dammit!!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: I hate seeing *** posts, and some civ4

[ QUOTE ]
I think bicyclekick is really playing this heavily. Maybe you can hook up with him. In a gaming way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play it from time to time. Haven't in a few weeks. I'm actually doing a good job of not overdoing it with this one.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:06 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw a way to do something like that in Civ 4. And you can have an American leader, Franklin Roosevelt, in any game. It's under one of the custom scenarios or something, more toward the bottom of the screen when you're just starting. You can play on a map of continents configured like Earth's regular cast of characters.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: I hate seeing *** posts, and some civ4

Ah that's cool. Last I saw you post on it, you were in deep. I was figuring you were multiplaying up a storm with some of the OOT vets.

I was getting nuts over it for a while too, like I do with anything new I start. Enjoyed working on my Roman rush strategy.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A gig of RAM for strat games with lots of units, and RTS's, has been standard for years now, since well before Starcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well before Starcraft? A gig? Standard?

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously wouldn't expect smooth play out of any game these days with less than a gig of RAM, and that prescription goes back all the way to my Total Annihilation days in what, 1997 I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

1997? My god, what kind of computer did you have and how much did you spend?

Edit: It came from Linksville!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 PM

i used to be really into computer games when i was 12-15 but now they don't do too much for me anymore. there are still some games i definitely enjoy but not too many.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:34 PM

funny [censored]