Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: \"Orange-Out\" in Detroit.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:18 PM

if people in detroit were actually smart, they would just sit at home instead of going to the stadium, and paying $256 for parking, $639 for a hot dog, and $1274 for a beer.

this is the only way the bone headed management will take a hint, is if you hurt their pocket books.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:23 PM

most of those tickets are already purchased, so staying home would only hurt concessions - although i "concede" that it is a strong point in and of itself. A boycott doesn't have to be the first step, this is a good way to get the word out, get some national coverage and to see how much support this group (it is just one group of fans) has. The next step could be something bigger.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:01 PM

What you're not taking into account is that this move will embarass the hell out of the owners and receive lots of press coverage.

Money is one thing, but when your fans pull a stunt like this, it can send a message.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although, the name needs work. They're just ripping off the Flyers ("Orange Crush" - 2004 playoffs) and Penn State ("White Out" - see PSU vs. tOSU).

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck are you even talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone with JoePa as his avatar should know.

In any event, the recent rage where fans wear all one color was (I think) started by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2004 playoffs. They had an "orange crush" where they gave out orange t-shirts to all the fans that entered the arena. IIRC, it was for Game Six of the Eastern Conference Finals. Nearly every fan there was in bright orange.

The trick spread like wildfire. Other teams started doing it, including Calgary in the Stanley Cup Finals. Penn State started doing it last year, with a "white out" against Purdue. All students were expected to wear white, creating a very large contrast between the student section and the alumni, who wear mostly dark colors. We did it again this year against tOSU, with something like 99% of students wearing white. Other Big Ten schools have copied us, including Illinois who did it against us this year. Did them a lot of good =)

Here are awesome pictures from the "white out" against tOSU. Look hard, I'm in the 3rd row somewhere =).

Edit: [/hijack] Sorry I get excited about PSU football.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Pretty much every college basketball team has been doing this with the student section for 5 or 10 years. At Oregon they give out free t-shirts at the beginning and if you're wearing one you get in 10 minutes early so the only way to sit on the floor is to get a t-shirt and wear it, at least to get in. I'm guessing something like that is standard elsewhere. Not sure how it works at Pitt with the shirts, but I know basically everyone in the student section where's the gold "Oakland Zoo" shirts.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:10 PM

You're right, I forgot about college ball. I know Duke has those people behind the basket who wear the ugly white/blue striped shirts.

Some college football teams have it throughout the stadium, I'm thinking Nebraska. Or the Chiefs in NFL.

I change my statement to: Flyers started it in the NHL, PSU started it in the Big Ten. And since the Flyers did it in 2004, a lot of teams have started copying.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:14 PM

Dude, Mac Court is such a sweet place to see a game.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any event, the recent rage where fans wear all one color was (I think) started by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2004 playoffs. They had an "orange crush" where they gave out orange t-shirts to all the fans that entered the arena. IIRC, it was for Game Six of the Eastern Conference Finals. Nearly every fan there was in bright orange.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you buy the crack that you're obviously smoking?

It was most definitely not started by the Philadelphia Flyers in 2004. I'm a big fan of the Washington Capitals and they encouraged fans to wear all white to playoff games as far back as the late 80's. And it probably predates that also.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I change my statement to: Flyers started it in the NHL

[/ QUOTE ]

No.