Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Thinking While Playing (LC)

Well, you can see a doctor and see what's recommended. Or you can do what I do and self medicate with far too much coffee.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 PM

I am huge on music.
A weird fact is that my best performances have come when I am only playing a single table and I have been in front of the TV. Whether it is poker, football or 60 minutes. I usually head to the TV when I am very uncomfortable at my desk. I guess this probably relates to getting deep in tourneys, and therefore being in front of the TV for the money.

On a whole other point, I am also trying to figure out a structure for my decision making. Too often I will play as well as I can, be in a great position, and make one play out of frustation, or simply lack of analysis.

Does anyone have a specific procees they go through before they make a tough decision??
Old 09-29-2005, 02:06 AM

Ahh... "How to clear your head" is a question whose origins come long before poker.

Really, it comes down to what works for you. So try a few things people suggest until you find a combination that allows you to give your full attention to poker and play your best game.

I've actually found that I've played under enough circumstances that it almost doesn't matter anymore. I like music, but I have won in silence. Sometimes I like stimulants; sometimes I like depressants. Sometimes I meditate beforehand; sometimes I'm chatting it up until (and after) the tournament starts. If I feel anxious during a tournament I will do push-ups during the 5-minute breaks. It's whatever keeps me in balance, really. Calm, clearheaded and using your best powers of observation, capabilities for strategic thought, and decision-making abilities.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a specific procees they go through before they make a tough decision??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you don't have much time online. I just recommend taking a deep breath and taking a quick mental review of the pot odds, action to this point, and what you know about the opponent. That's usually enough to at least get you a feel for what you should do.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:15 AM

Skoal chewing tobacco works wonders for me.... and my gums
Old 09-29-2005, 03:46 AM

A lot of the times when I play, I don't want to be TOO involved in the games because I start to get bored and think "oh, man, I haven't raised for a while, maybe I'll mix it up with this K6s" and donk off half my chips. There's a good medium you can attain, and it actually helps for me to play some cash games on the side. It keeps you on a more rigid way of playing that keeps your head clear.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:10 AM

I am one of those players that sometimes need to actually sit on my hands before I make a decission.
Lately I have donked away potentially favourable situation to earn good money( top 10 stack with 80- left) because I loose consentration or deviate from my play
1.Dont play just for for playings sake ie when u are tired, upset or really should be doing something else
2. Make a clear plan which tournament u are gonna play and when and prep yourself.
3. Keep CONSTANT observation on the players and the action and try anticipating what actions will bring about what changes.

What anoyes me the most about my play is when I commit errors that I know not to, but still did. I feel good about my game when I make just decissions for the situation regardless of the outcome.

When I had good finishes,or bust but felt good about my game, I can remeber all the key hands and players involved. This is a good checkpoint for me, when I struggle with a decission because I lost track of an opponent I know my game is off and I am not contributing to my game properly.

Currently on a break because I have been playing around the clock outside of work and not slept more then 3 hrs any night for weeks and have become DONKEY KONG.Taking a deep look into my game to ressurect new and improved
Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 AM

yeah, I put my computer on all audio, and then shuffle. and when I find a track that suits my mood, I go ahead and listen to that kinda music. Like today in one of my micros, I listened to the soundtrack to all three lord of the rings movies... kept me serene.

I have found that a post-it with a mental checklist is a good thing, i.e.

1.Pot odds
2.Implied odds
3.cEV
4.$EV
5.Breathe

(dont forget number 5)

and Im getting my first perscription for Adderol XL this week, I really really cant wait to see what it does for my mental game.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I have donked away potentially favourable situation to earn good money( top 10 stack with 80- left) because I loose consentration or deviate from my play

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah-- I've done same lately. I will have a lapse in concentration long enough after looking at my hand that I'll have made up my mind on a play without taking in all the information, and then something comes up that would change my play entirely, but I'm locked in and make it without thinking. And one mistake is all it takes in NLH. Cost me some good chips and good money at UB's $125k a while ago and at their afternoon $109 earlier this week. (So now I keep my hand the hell OFF the mouse until it's my turn and I've decided what to do.)

[ QUOTE ]
5.Breathe

[/ QUOTE ]

$%@! yeah.

[ QUOTE ]
Im getting my first perscription for Adderol XL this week, I really really cant wait to see what it does for my mental game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If breathing is something you have to remind yourself to do, this will probably be very good for you. I think I've got a bit of the ADD myself and my experience with these types of drugs is that they improve my focus and alertness, but also bring a certain sense of calm that results from the cessation of mental noise.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:50 AM

haha, that was a joke! but no, I do have ADHD, and while I have always comtrolled it in the other parts of my life, it sometimes makes poker.... hectic.