Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-21-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Need Help w/my multi table game

Hi All!

I need some help with my multi-table game.

I have no problem w/SNGs. Generally, I finish in the money 4 out of 5 times and will win 2 of those four. I play these tight aggressive and then as the table loses players, I get more aggressive. It has worked very well for me for the last year or so. However, when I play multi-table tourneys, my game doesn’t really seem to work.

Basically, my main problem is I end up playing too tight. Because I am playing the "Harrington" opening hands, and also keeping the Gap Concept in mind, I never really get the opportunity to become really aggressive. I end up being short stacked by the fourth or fifth level. So ultimately, I finish in the top third, and if I get really lucky I squeak into the money, but I would prefer to give myself a legitimate chance to finish higher.

How much more do I need to loosen my requirements in order to give myself a real chance? Is it simply a matter of playing mediocre hands as long as I have position?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Need Help w/my multi table game

I would suspect you're not maximizing how much you win from your opponents when you win a hand. What's your post flop play like? How many of these tournaments have you played?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally, I finish in the money 4 out of 5 times and will win 2 of those four

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are the best player ever.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-21-2005, 12:51 PM

Seriously. Why bother playing multis with a 50% first rate in SNGs.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:14 PM

Hi Lefthander!

That's a pretty easy question to answer actually.

First, I'm not playing $500 SNGs. I generally play the $20 game on Stars.

The reason for wanting to play these multi-table tournys has to do with Foxwoods. See, I like to play on line, but I also like to play at Foxwoods. I'm sure you are familar with the Satellites they have there for the World Poker Finals or the New England Classic. One table tourney, finish in the top two (this year anyway) get a free buy in at the next one level one table, finish in the top two and get a free buy in at their multi-table tourney. The top 10% in that tournament get a seat for the WPT or whatever big tounament they are going to be having. Well, I have no problems getting to the multi-table level. The problem is when I get to the multi-table tournaments, I get run over. I don't see many flops, so I ultimately end up short stacked.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Hi benkahuna!

You may be right about that. Generally, I don't slow play unless I have a set. When I see a flop, I either will make a continuation bet or a pot sized bet depending on the situation.

I haven't played many of these. Maybe 20 or so. The thing is I don't see any improvement in my game here at all. I'd be happy if I could just see a little improvement.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suspect you're not maximizing how much you win from your opponents when you win a hand. What's your post flop play like? How many of these tournaments have you played?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem you had when I made the switch from SNG, and after I heard this advice and took advantage of it I increased my ITM finishes.

You say you're post flop play is not the problem as you make pot-sized bets, I recommend you make the pots bigger pre-flop by raising more often and calling more raises in LP with position.

Also read this: two plus two archive