Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Default AK in SB late in Tourney at Foxwoods

I usually post/read in the STT forum, but I played my 1st B&M multi-table tournament (no-limit) at Foxwoods on Friday and thought this forum would be more appropriate.

I made it to the final 8 tables (out of about 23-25). I had just moved to a new table and had no reads on anyone. The blinds were t200-400 (about to increase to t300-600 next hand). There were 3 large stacks including me (I had t5500, and the other 2 looked to be about t6000-7000... the other 6-7 players had small stacks.) I was in SB w/ AKo, one of the big stacks bet t1200, it was folded to me. How should I have played?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: AK in SB late in Tourney at Foxwoods

w/ your chips in the middle
Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 PM

1st -- How many people at the table and what position was the raiser in? How many chips does BB have?

2nd -- You usually post in STT and don't know what to do here? You have AK and next hand you'll have less than 10xBB. I'll let others elaborate.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st -- How many people at the table and what position was the raiser in? How many chips does BB have?

2nd -- You usually post in STT and don't know what to do here? You have AK and next hand you'll have less than 10xBB. I'll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was one of the big stacks w/ about t6500, from MP. I pushed. But I wonder if I should have called and folded on the flop which did not help me. The reason I am questioning my decision is because he was a bigger stack, and I had no read on him... obviously I lost...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:55 PM

I'm guessing he called with a pocket pair Js or lower, which is a poor call IMO. I like the push here as he has to respect your raise. I also think I consider showing if he had folded to gain a little credibility.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing he called with a pocket pair Js or lower, which is a poor call IMO. I like the push here as he has to respect your raise. I also think I consider showing if he had folded to gain a little credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had KK. Not having a read on the types of hands he played, his aggression, really bothered me (having only AK). Oh well, it was fun, can't wait to do it again. Sounds like I made the right play, so I am happy in that sense.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pushed. But I wonder if I should have called and folded on the flop which did not help me. The reason I am questioning my decision is because he was a bigger stack, and I had no read on him... obviously I lost...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think calling 20% of your stack and then check/folding the flop is an option here. I like folding to the raise and then open pushing any 2 next hand better than that.

You don't have a big enough stack to mess around and the blinds are gonna start seriously hurting next hand. This is a no-brainer push.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:20 PM

Thats why AK is one of my biggest bust out hands, I push it.

You always recall the bust out, but there have been just as many times they call with 88 or AQ and you double up.

You just got unlucky he had KK, I ran in to AA two Times this weekend holding KK, once with 17 (in 10th) to go out of 900+ and the second 13 to go from the Bubble on a Sat. I am still taking every chance I can Heads up with KK.