Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 01:02 AM

Default He\'s a moron, so, I guess I\'ll call again...

Party 5/10 six-max

This dude on my left is completely horrible. I've been playing a couple hours with him and I've taken a number of notes on his play. They are as follows:

- We're briefly four-handed and I raise UTG to $35, he calls with K7s. Flop is something like 663 with two of his suit, he calls my 2/3 pot bet, turn is another rag and he calls another 2/3 pot bet, river is a brick and he checks behind.

- He checks in the bb with 44, he flops a set and check-calls against an UTG limper, he checkraises the minimum on the turn, and then min-bets the river

- I missed the beginning of this hand, but he's in there with AQo, it might be a raised pot but I'm not sure. Flop is ace high with two diamonds, someone (I think him) bets, Player B raises and he calls. I'm not sure what their positions were. Third diamond on the turn and Player B bets, bad player calls. River blank, Player B bets, and bad player puts him all-in. Player B calls with a flush. The pot ended up being something like $3300, so this idiot managed to lose more than $1500 with top pair via a brilliant river raise.

- Someone folds and I raise to $35, he insta-calls with AJo, flop comes T97 and he calls my 2/3 pot bet, turn is a 6 that puts two hearts out and he calls another 2/3 pot bet, river is the 8 of hearts (so there is a straight on the board now, with three hearts). I bet full pot and he pushes; we both have a jack and split.

So that brings us to the hand in question...

It's folded around to me in the SB and I just complete with AKo. (Preflop ain't the point of this thread, so please don't waste everyone's time by telling me to raise.) Moron raises to $30. He's not abnormally aggressive preflop, so I figure he has something reasonable. I call.

Flop is KQ3 rainbow. I check, he bets full pot, I call.

Turn is 3. I check, he bets full pot I call.

River is 2. He has just barely more than one pot-size bet left. I stop and consider betting, but after a brief pause, I check. He bets full pot. I call.

Am I a moron too?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: He\'s a moron, so, I guess I\'ll call again...

love it on the flop, but what are you doing with a check on the turn other than allowing him to confuse you?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:28 AM

Looks good. He sounds like the kind of player who bets small with a big hand or slowplays anything that would beat you here (my favorite kind of player). He's probably on AQ or JJ or something dumb like 66.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:42 AM

Not getting much response... so let me add a couple questions...

The first reply asks why I didn't bet the turn. I suppose that's a legitimate question... my main concern there is that I hate getting raised, since my line does not really suggest a lot of strength and he may actually raise me with a worse hand (he may even believe he has the best hand when he raises too).

Given that I elected to check again on the turn though, the thing I suspect I may have botched on this hand is that I gave him the chance to take a free showdown on the river if he wanted it. I could have checkraised the turn, or bet the river... and I'm not sure if I should have.

Suppose he has a hand like a mid pocket pair, or a weaker king... he may only plan to bet the river if he spikes a card to beat me. Checkraising the turn and driving out that mid pair could save me the pot sometimes. If he has a weaker king he may call my raise or river bet, but he may not bet himself. So my aggression could win me some more money the times I'm ahead... and the key, of course, is that due to his stack size, my turn raise or river bet will put him nearly all-in so I will see the showdown for the same price as by check-calling the river.

On the other hand though, I feel like my hand is of approximately the strength where only a few worse hands will pay me off, and I won't get any better hands to fold. So I don't see much value from playing this hand aggressively, and worse hands are drawing pretty slim so there isn't even much benefit from protecting my hand either.

So in conclusion, I'm babbling.