Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Job Offer

I'd say take the job. If it sucks that bad you can quit after a few month. It's very likely that the online games are gonna get worse and worse.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what if I can make 100k playing cards?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think the probability of increasing that wage over the next few years is greater in your poker career or your computer career? You're probably going to get yearly raises and bonuses in your computer career but, unless you continue to improve at poker, are able to beat bigger limits, and the action at your current AND future higher limits continues to be good your poker wage is going to remain constant.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:34 PM

I really have no idea what to do.

relish the fact that you are in the position to dictate what you will work for and when.

figure out how you want to live and tailor your employment status around that. 99% of people in america have to do it the other way around.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazingly my old company called me today,and seems to be ready to offer me a job...... I really have no idea what to do.

I've been playing full time for almost a year now, The lifestyle is AWESOME, the money has been very good, the hours are great, the freedom is amazing. But I dont know what I should say if they make an offer.

I am thinking 100k + bonus would get me back (or a total comp of 150+). I really dont know what to do, This could be my biggest decision I ever make, as it possibly can change the rest of my life [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

HELP!

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy decision. Take the job offer now.

Play poker on the side, or not. It's up to you.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:15 PM

Would love to be in this position. My poker is OK, but many moons away from paying a salary. Anyway. My thoughts:

1) You don't say what the job is.. you must have some sort of an idea. Is it going to enrich your life in any way or just provide a steady income?
2) You clearly enjoy the freedom that online poker gives you.. could you really go back to working for 'the man' (as I do now - it can suck).
3) Or, do you miss working with other people. I am making the assumption that making a living from online poker is a fairly solitary existence. I couldn't do it.
4) Yes, the bottom will fall out of online poker in the next couple of years, as soon as all the potential players have been cleaned out. Do you move now and miss out on potential earnings and take this job? Or, could you use your skills elsewhere? Another 'skill based' game perhaps. Blackjack, chess.. whatever the next online thing will be... and I think there will be another online thing.

Anyway, more questions than answers here so apologies for that. Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Remember... You've got to know when to hold 'em. You've got to know when to fold 'em.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM

Interesting dilemma.

I can't imagine what this is like, since there is no way anyone is going to pay me $250,000+ per year that I can earn by playing poker without a college degree.

That said, if I found someone willing to pay me that much, I would at least strongly consider taking it. But I also LOVE the freedom entailed with poker and it makes my life about 1000% better. When/if I stop doing this whole poker grind, I have a hard time imagining myself doing anything but starting my own business. I just dread the thought of getting up at 7am and going to work for a boss... ugh.

But everyone is different and you have a family to consider. I would just feel like part of my soul is dying if I did that.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
going to pay me $250,000+ per year that I can earn by playing poker without a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
going to pay me $250,000+ per year that I can earn by playing poker without a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:35 PM

1) Can you work 1 or 2 dasy a week from home? Try to get that in there.

2) See what they have to say and how much they want to give you.

3) How about flexible hours, say ... 7 am to 2. You could be home in time to moonlight 8 hours online.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:35 PM

I think you really needs to tell us what the job is.