Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: 200/400 bellagio vs v good player

[ QUOTE ]
Hi BK,

I hate your 3 bet preflop against a top player. You are out of position and will miss most times.

I don't like your flop aciton, either. 3 bet and lead the turn. Then, call if raised. I'd check call any river, unless it's a non-spade K. A non-spade J is closer.

One main problem with being out of position in headsup battles is you don't get that bet on the end that you can often get in position. Too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pre-flop logic makes 0 sense. Ok, so she's raising shittons of hands and respects him, lets get her to fold A-2-A9 on boards that dont hit her.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:17 PM

The person who wins most pots when it goes miss-miss is the person with position, period. KJ has little showdown value, and 3 betting makes the pot bigger. Ironically, by doing what you suggest, you make it harder for her to fold on the flop or turn when it is missed around. Why would you build the pot up with this hand? Look back at Steve G's hand against Mimi Tran and think about it. Similar thinking applies here.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The person who wins most pots when it goes miss-miss is the person with position, period. KJ has little showdown value, and 3 betting makes the pot bigger. Ironically, by doing what you suggest, you make it harder for her to fold on the flop or turn when it is missed around. Why would you build the pot up with this hand? Look back at Steve G's hand against Mimi Tran and think about it. Similar thinking applies here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. In blind steals, it is often the last aggressor who wins the pot, not who has position. KJo indeed has virtually no SD value, but HU play is not always about SD. Sure the pot gets bigger when 3 bets go in preflop. It doesn't change the fact that she is gonna have a really hard time calling a flop bet with A2-A9 if she missed, even if she is getting 7.5:1 instead of 5.5:1. Not to mention the fact that KJ may indeed be the best hand preflop.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 PM

I like it. I wish I played hands like this more myself.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:24 PM

BK,

Do you do this for the chance she'll fold AJ or other better hands to your 3bet?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 PM

I like it. I only played with Terri a couple of times, but I remember her raising my turn donk bets every time fwiw. Obviously, I would like it a lot more if you had AJ as it probably takes away 2 of her outs and it will get you an additional bet or two if an A hits. I think it is important to play some marginal hands like this in these situations to take away her raising the turn for free showdowns for fear of being 3 bet.

What do you do if she 4 bets or a spade hits the river? Either way I think against her you need to get to showdown, so if the turn 3 bet will cause you to fold I don't like it as much.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:43 AM

sure, but i think you gotta give up the ghost if she goes 4.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:22 AM

A general question about this comment:

[ QUOTE ]
The villain in the hand is terry...a local woman who IMO is the best player at the table(and i'm either 2nd or a close third...so it's a decent game for 2 and 4).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious what made you feel that she was better than you, and how long you'd been playing with her before you decided this? Is this a player you know extremely well, or do you make evaluations like this after, say, she makes one or two creative moves that are clearly correct and that you would not have made yourself?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Great seinfeld quote for your location Gaming Mouse, lol.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:31 PM

I like the way you played it, and your afterthoughts.

As to metagame, the only reason I could see for NOT playing it the way you did (I'm thinking mainly about your reraise on the turn, not the preflop reraise) is that if your hand gets shown down, it might get this particular opponent to start coming at you a little harder, a little more often. Or maybe even a lot harder, a lot more often. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in your world. I don't know. But it is something you had a large amount of control over. If you two had evolved a non-spoken non-interference pact, it likely evolved because it was to your mutual benefit. In that case, this hand would/could be seen as a treaty-breaker. Then the blood flows, which is fine, as long as it's not yours!

As to what I would have done, well, I live a much simpler life than you do.

"The villain in the hand ... is the best player at the table."

I would have kept the peace by folding before the flop.

Tommy