Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 01:23 AM

Default standard flop play?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>,
Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: standard flop play?

Yup, good raise. We will not often have the best hand, but when we do it's necessary to do what we can to increase our chances of winning in this very large pot.

The turn is where it's going to get sticky but you've given yourself alot of options. What turn cards are you betting, joker?

Surf
Old 10-09-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What turn cards are you betting, joker?

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking any turn except an ace?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What turn cards are you betting, joker?

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking any turn

[/ QUOTE ]obviously.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:04 AM

I'm confused why this is a standard play and why it increases our chances of winning. Why not just call?

M
Old 10-09-2005, 05:15 AM

I'd say to knock out SB and to be able to take a free river/showdown if u like.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused why this is a standard play and why it increases our chances of winning. Why not just call?

M

[/ QUOTE ]

We can push out other players with random draws, giving us more clean outs.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:27 AM

We can only push out the SB. We have to call a 3-bet. Still, getting 12:1 I suppose a raise is plausable and possibly the best move, like in SSHE when Ed Miller has us raising with middle pair when the PFR bets the flop.

Something to think about...when the BB raises the whole field (4 limpers), to me that seems like AK or AQs or better (TT-AA), no? I personally would raise there with AJs and probably another hand or two, but I'm basically ahead of 2 hands he could have and I think I'm going to be 3-bet a large majority of the time. Further, if he just called my flop raise, I would want to bet the turn, anyway.

My standard play when staying in a hand is to raise here...but what do you all think his hand range is?

M
Old 10-09-2005, 05:56 AM

You are applying your own thoughts and standards to another player. Unless you have a reason to do so (i.e. playing v. a tag or known/suspected twoplustwoer), you should try to avoid doing this. I continue to try to work this out. Sometimes when I'm walking down the street I try to think about who a certain LAG is and why he plays in manner in which he does. I'd like to invite one out for beers and psychologically analyze him.

OP didn't provide a read. And without one, in my experience, his range may not be as wide as the ocean, but perhaps one of the Great Lakes.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:27 AM

If I'm the button and it's folded to me I allways raise with Q10s&amp;o. Bad play?