Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Small Stakes Hold EM and WLLHE Compared

I just finished reading ssh. The first section deals with gambling concepts such as expectation. This part is outstanding. The second section deals with preflop play. I have to admit there is nothing here that I have never read before. Mr. Miller says to play very tightly before the flop. Do not call raises with trouble hands (A-J, A-10, K-J, K-10, Q-J, Q-10). Do not call raises with suited aces, suited connectors, small or medium pairs. Always raise with A-A, K-K, Q-Q. You need to get rid of your small pairs if you do not flop a set etc. This is the same advice you would get in most poker books such as Middle Limit Hold Em by Ciaffone or Hold Em Excellence by Krieger.
The real meat of the book is the post flop play. I would be interested in discussing the play of hands post flop. In particular, I want to understand the winning low limit hold em way of playing vs. the small stakes hold em way. For instance, Miller wants us to raise our flush draws. I still am a bit fuzzy on what makes the Lee Jones "style" weak tight after the flop. So, it would be interesting to talk about actual hands to see the difference between "weak tight" and "attack."
Old 08-16-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold EM and WLLHE Compared

Just read the Small Stakes and Micro-Limits forums for a couple of weeks.

Read this thread it has lots of good links to threads which are important in understanding concepts such as raising flush draws.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:17 PM

ummm, read the small stakes forum. that's all they ever talk about.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, Miller wants us to raise our flush draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and so does Jones for the most part in multiway pots. Raising flush draws for value in LL play is basic.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:58 PM

Take a look at the example on page 148 under "Playing Aggressively With Marginal Hands." I don't think Jones is recommending raising with middle pair and a backdoor straight drawn under any circumstance. That's attacking!