Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 AM

Default KJs, Turn donk bet on a scare card...

BB in this case is a bad player.
53/13/1.6 after 58 hands.
Post flop the only read I have on him is that he overplays hands in very strange situations, and plays passive in others. He plays weird, and bad.

I had a really hard time deciding what to do in this hand at the time.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: KJs, Turn donk bet on a scare card...

[ QUOTE ]
BB in this case is a bad player.
53/13/1.6 after 58 hands.
Post flop the only read I have on him is that he overplays hands in very strange situations, and plays passive in others. He plays weird, and bad.

I had a really hard time deciding what to do in this hand at the time.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling down unless another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits the river.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:17 PM

bump
Old 12-16-2005, 05:26 PM

Hi Case you have to be good here 33% of the time to call down and probably dodge a heart on the river but donk bets from bad players so often mean "i have air" that i call down more often than i fold in spots like these.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:31 PM

I would call down because he could be doing this with a flush draw with the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], trying to scare you into folding in case you don't have the Ace. He may even have worse than that and trying to scare you. Definitely strange, because once you call the turn you are committed to calling the river, which costs 2BB if he has the A, a flush, or hits the flush on the river (provided you call on a 4 heart board).

The donkbet could also mean that he's got the flush, thinks you have the Ace, and is hoping you will raise so he can go to war with his flush.

But since he is a bad player, it's difficult to know what anything means. His AF is 1.6, so I would just call down and hope you are good. Raising the turn risks a 3-bet, so maybe it's a WA/WB situation and you need to call. If I were to fold here I would feel kind of bad, raising feels like spewing (or really smart) and calling feels about right. He may check a non-heart river and you will be good some of the time, especially if a K or J hit, and other times you will be good UI.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:41 PM

does anyoen consider raising? is that just spewing?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyoen consider raising? is that just spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's spewing but I could be wrong.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:57 PM

The thing that really confused me about this hand is this:

Why would he not check raise with a good hand? Even if I was betting with air on the flop he could guess that at this point I had at least one pair. The only hand that makes sense to me other than a bluff is A-rag.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that really confused me about this hand is this:

Why would he not check raise with a good hand? Even if I was betting with air on the flop he could guess that at this point I had at least one pair. The only hand that makes sense to me other than a bluff is A-rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't spend too much time in the mind of why a Donk does what he does - your head will hurt. The donk probably read somewhere about the semi-bluff and figures that it applies here since he has one [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or possibly others have folded to him here so he bets. I agree with the OP though that normally this means the donk just has a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and is betting it out.