Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Bears in trouble

[ QUOTE ]
Carson Palmer threw 3 TD's in that game. I'd say that's "looking pretty good" against any defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, you got me. Carson Palmer, one of the three best QBs in the league, had a great game. Anybody else?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Madtown,

I've talked about this before in its own topic. Favre has a) gotten no help this year and b) played a lot of very tough defenses. It's not like turnovers are a new thing. This is the fourth time in his career he's thrown twenty picks in a season.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 of those seasons was 93. I was watching in 93, he sucked. Period. His first two years were bad. Lots of silly interceptions.

2 of those seasons were years where he had 30+ TDs -- and had a solid team, both offense and defense, around him. Better supporting cast means you can take more chances with turning the ball over -- they're more likely to make the play, and if they don't, your above average defense is more likely to make a stop on them.

The fact is that Favre has never been good at avoiding interceptions because he forces the ball. A lot. Which is fine if you have a solid defense that can cover your ass, and/or a solid recieving corp that can make plays on those kinds of throws. But he doesn't have those things right now, and it's really inexcusable that he continues to try and force some of these plays.

Having watched him play for years, coming from Wisconsin while not being a Pack fan, he really is a high-risk QB. Given that the Packers are in bad shape largely due to injury, but weren't completely out of the division race since that division is pretty bad all around, some of these interceptions are the difference between being 2-10 and 5-7 or 6-6.

If he was as good as everyone thinks he is, he'd be able to scale back some of those risky plays. But he can't. He is, and always has been, a very skilled but reckless QB.

I don't see how "the turnovers have always been there" is an adequate defense. He used to have a team around him where turnovers weren't as big an issue. He doesn't any more. He's still throwing INTs though. Some of them can be chalked up to WR inexperience, but a fair amount of them are just TERRIBLE throws/decision making on Favre's part.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Carson Palmer threw 3 TD's in that game. I'd say that's "looking pretty good" against any defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, you got me. Carson Palmer, one of the three best QBs in the league, had a great game. Anybody else?

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get it twisted, I'm not trying to say that Palmer picked the Bears D apart, or totally embarrassed them, because he didn't. But you are trying to say that the Bears defense is so great, NOBODY has performed well against them. Which is simply untrue.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Favre does have a solid defense. Jim Bates has turned this squad into a comptent unit. His recievers are not that bad, I would take Driver, Ferguson, and Bubba, over the Eagles, Lions, Falcons, 49ers, Seahawks (Granted they have Shaun, which helps a little bit) Jets, Browns, Titans, Chiefs. And I might take them over the Broncos and Pats WR's
Old 12-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Um, no, I was actually asking - did anyone look good against them? I haven't been able to see many bears games this year.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, no, I was actually asking - did anyone look good against them? I haven't been able to see many bears games this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought you were trying to say that nobody has looked good against the Bears. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go saying they are the best defense in the last 5 years. Look at this pitiful schedule:

Washington
Detroit
Cincinatti
Cleveland
Minnesota
Baltimore
Detroit
Saints
49ers
Panthers
Tampa Bay
Green Bay

Only two decent offenses on the whole list. The best one scored 24 and had their QB throw 3 TDs. They'll have to do something in the playoffs for me to buy into their greatness. I'm not saying they're not good, but I don't think they can be called great yet.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:56 PM

all I know is to bet the under every time they play...good defense...terrible offense...you decide