Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Mindless at Hollywood Park

Hollywood Park exists. Saying anything more could be misconstrued as some obtuse compliment that this place simply does not deserve. At Hollywood Park the atmosphere is poisonous, the clientele rotten, the staff a pack of goons, the service laughable, and the players inane, with the vastness of the parking lot adding to the general forlorn and forbidding nature of this baroque structure to human idiocy. In other words, I enjoyed the place.

I signed up for the 10/20 and 15/30 games and soon got in the 20 game. As soon as I sat down, and in the very first hand I witnessed, a volcanic eruption occurred over the betting and calling sequence on the turn and river, mainly due to dealer ineptness, player inattentiveness, and the general visceral hatred displayed by all concerned. The floor was called over but this just resulted in even more extensive bickering and in nothing substantial being done except that ‘the camera’ should be looked at etc. It was not resolved until about twenty minutes later. Welcome to California Poker, I thought.

I soon moved to the 30 game. A little less hatred was displayed at this table but more idiocy, if that seems possible, and I assure you it is. I witnessed odd folds, emotional outbursts, boneheaded crying calls, continual juvenile whining, shaking of the noggin in disbelieve and consternation, dealer abuse, and overall brain abuse and mind misuse. The local miscreants were at their best and displayed an ever mounting and seething foolishness that held an almost gaudy and irresistible charm. I was down a little but made a short quick run and ended up in the black a few hundred. My luck changed just as Michael Davis showed up. We caused a ruckus by talking and Michael hanging about behind me for only a few seconds, but enough for the ‘gentlemen’ on my left to post some objections and other irrational loathing towards Mike and I, he was losing and very keyed up. Also, the ‘gentlemen’ to my right shot a parting insult at me as I folded my last hand and left. I simply agreed with his comment. Anyway, I racked up and left after playing for a few hours, if that.

We went to the bar and since I was fighting a cold, I drank tomato juice. I had a very fine and interesting discussion with Michael, which was occasionally made difficult when yelling and whooping erupted over the chariot races beaming from all the TVs. We talked some about poker and other topics. I was certainly glad to meet this bright young man. He was kind enough to give me a lift back to the hotel. By the way, the Marriott by LAX is a 70's style concrete monument to ugliness - A listless building of boring functionality. What exacerbates the vileness of the place is the color - a sticking urine stain, or dull puss yellow, that revolts the eye and arrests the mind. A flaming lime green would have been better; at least it would give the building a blinding gaudiness that would have the redeeming feature of being worth seeing. This hotel is a great big nothing. Sort of like LA. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 03-01-2005, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Mindless at Hollywood Park

dying i missed ya. great post. if you wouldve had a pinks hot dog you would feel much better about everything that happened to you.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:54 AM

Roget would be proud, that was a funny and interesting read.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:06 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] HPC.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:57 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] LA.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hollywood Park exists. Saying anything more could be misconstrued as some obtuse compliment that this place simply does not deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this far exactly, and started laughing out loud...... now on to the body of the post.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:50 AM

welcome to hell aye - actually makes places like the Sahara on the ass end of the strip tolerable-

I know this cause a guy who won a seat in the Commerce WPT satellite decided to stay in vegas before going on to CA - didn't wanna spend 3 extra days there... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and he busted me out on the bubble at Sahara...LOL

any time I get to thinking I'm a bit too proud of being American, I think of So. Cal and acquire a bit of shame back.

RB
Old 03-01-2005, 01:44 PM

Bravo.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM

HP scares me and I've never even been there. Doesn't look like I'll end up there anytime soon.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Nice work, Zeno. You are truly blessed with the internal depression and self-hatred worthy of an A-1 degenerate. I couldn't be happier for you.