Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: McNabb

[ QUOTE ]
brett,

I'm saying nothing of McNabb's abilities, except that Mike McMahon sucking does not prove that McNabb is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack,

I wasn't replying to "you" specifically. I just happened to click that way. I agree Mike McMahon's (dis)abilities shouldn't have very much influence on valuing McNabb at all.

Brett
Old 12-06-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McNabb had a great season last year. His overall numbers are pretty darn average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before last year he was more style than substance so to speak, I'd completely agree. But if last year is an indication of what he's capable of, and he comes back next year and puts up similar numbers, then he will be worthy of all the hype.

Every team tries to promote/sell tickets with star power. Its Marketing 101.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McNabb had a great season last year. His overall numbers are pretty darn average. His accuracy has never been great. He receives a lot more hype than his skills deserve. The NFL tries to create stars and McNabb was one of their chosen projects.

[/ QUOTE ]

His recievers have been terrible every year in this league except 1. He had Torrence Small and Charles Johnson and then Todd Pinkston and James Thrash before 2004. I still don't know how he was able to put up the TD/INT ratio that he did with those guys. He also knew that he had bad receivers and adjusted his game accordingly, something a couple of QB can't do (see Brett Farve and Daunte Culpepper). Before 2004 I think you could attempt to argue that it was his inability to get his receivers the ball and they actually weren't that bad but TO comes along and he becomes the first QB to throw 30+ TDs and less than 10 INTs in a year.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55 PM

I will say this Mcnabb is a media whore. How many different cambells chunky soup commercials have you seen? Of course the NFL wants to promote him. They picked him as the only player in the "NFL take a player to school" ads. Also when they run the video for "All video for this telecast is copyrighted..." with slight clips of old school players, he used to be the last guy they would show. Now they added it to where you see Mcnabb, P. manning and Jerry Rice just before they flash the logo.