Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Are Astrology Devotees SubHuman?

I was castigated for making that statement on another thread and quickly backtracked to avoid a side issue being debated.

Subhuman or not, they are complete imbeciles. At least if I understand the subject correctly.

Although I have implied otherwise at times, the fact is that believing in astrology is even worse than believing in a specfic religion. One reason of course is that religions usually come with moral implications while astrology doesn't. The other reason is that, if I'm not mistaken, astrology makes specific claims and those claims have been completely refuted.

I believe that statistical studies have been made about the validity of any predictions made by astrologers and the results are no better than chance would predict. When astologers are asked to guess what sign a person is based on meeting them and assessing their personalities, they are right one in twelve. The underlying thoery of astrology, the change in gravity due to the alignment of the planets and the stars, is nonsensical since that gravity has less force than the computer you are sitting in front of.

Now if someone just has a sort of fun time with astrology while never being told about the scientific refutations they are not subhuman or even necessarily stupid. But what about those who seriously cling to these beliefs in spite of the overwhelming evidence against it which they are aware of? (Again I stress that I am not an expert on astrology or its researchers. So if there is a serious factual error, this whole post is irrelevant).

A serious devotee of astrology, who is aware of the science and the statistics, deserves contempt and a bad name. Perhaps subhuman is not the right word. But something similar is, in my opinion. To show how strongly I feel about this subject I will say that I would never marry someone who fully believed in astrology regardless of the evidence. To make it even more clear, if I had to choose between my son being an astrology believer all his life or a heroin addict all his life, I would choose the latter. (Anticipating your next question I would choose Catholicism over heroin for him, but not Born Again Christianity).
Old 08-01-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Are Astrology Devotees SubHuman?

Arbeit Macht Frei!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:57 PM

This is one of my favorite posts ever.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-01-2005, 07:03 PM

Wow,
Some emotion there. I have not seen the studies concerned. Usually in this sort of debate studies on both sides exist.
From a human point of view it would be very unusual if no studies existed that supported astrology. No matter how wacko an idea is, an appropriate misunderstanding of statistical analysis can usually be applied to support it.

Just to give you some more ammo against fundie christians like me tho': It's worth noting that Melancthon one of the Lutheran fathers believed in Astrology, and that in the Book of Job the bible appears to make clear reference to astrology.

The bit about heroin addicts is a little dubious. I have had the misfortune to meet one or two (since deceased) and would not wish this for anyones future.

While as a christian I might suggest that astrology could lead you into the occult and get your soul damned or something, I observe that heroin appears ultimately to remove the soul/humanity of the addict.

I note also that "all his life" is likely to refer to a very different timespans in the two references you make to it, perhaps you considered this in your evaluation of the relative utility of the two activities.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:16 PM

anyone who beilves strongly in anything that has been overwhelming refuted is an idiot. For example, people who think online poker is rigged (this is a special case cause even if they were 100% correct they are idiots for continuing to play). Simple logic shows that online poker is clearly not rigged (as well as overwhelming evidence from statistics).
Old 08-01-2005, 07:18 PM

I wouldn't say that Astrology Devotees are SubHuman. They are however quite an irrational lot more commonly known as women.

I have never known a man to lend any credence to astrology. On the other hand I have known many women who believe in this crap to varying degrees.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say that Astrology Devotees are SubHuman. They are however quite an irrational lot more commonly known as women.

I have never known a man to lend any credence to astrology. On the other hand I have known many women who believe in this crap to varying degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

women lack logic. I would like to hear sklansky's pov on women and logic. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Three questions:

if heroin is illegal should astrology also be illegal?

What punishment would you advocate for astrology pushers?

Did you once go back for your bag and regret it?

chez
Old 08-01-2005, 07:35 PM

they are imbeciles, but they are also no different from people who believe the bible is the literal word of god.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:41 PM

There is one extremely small chance of some validity to astrology.

Those born in September are likely to be the oldest in their school class when growing up, and more mature. Those born in May and June are more likely to be the youngest and less mature. How being younger/older than those you are around probably does have some affect. There have been studies that noted that eldest siblings have some traits (such as being leaders and rebels more often), while middle children have others, and youngest siblings have other traits more often. The effects within a single year are less apparent. But it might have some effects.

So the astrologists might get some things correct just out of dumb luck, even though their reasoning is completely bogus.