Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 03:21 AM

Default I felt like an idiot but how bad was it?

How bad is this fold? (My thoughts at the end of the post)

Party Poker 2/4 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
1 fold, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)(7 SB)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)(5.5 BB)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)(9.5 BB)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

So someone who has been calling the whole way bets into 4 players when an overcard to my top pair hits. The its called, how can I possibly overcall.

Given how easy it is for someone to play to the river with a Q in their hand given the flop (straight draws with Q8 QJ KQ, plus people like to play QT Q9 more often then they should) how bad is this fold?

Dopey [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

BisonBison's Hand converter didn't convert properly but I believe the action shown is correct
Old 07-30-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: I felt like an idiot but how bad was it?

I just hate overcalling in these spots although low limits put you in this situation all the time. I think I would have folded too. Also, I fold A10o pf in ep almost evertime.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:55 AM

Thanks for your reply

My play of AJo &amp; ATo really is dependent on the conditions of the game.

In 2/4 I think I am giving up too much by folding ATo UTG in a loose game. It is much too often going to be good (in a limped pot) if an Ace flops and will get paid off but worse Aces assuming no preflop raise.
AK and AQ (even AJ at times) will tend to raise preflop and it is easy to get rid of on the flop if there is substantial action.

In a tighter more agressive game it is a EP fold.

Dopey [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 05:21 AM

I had the same situation happen to me earlier on 2/4; flopped top pair (Q) vs a PFR from the blinds, raised the flop. A comes on the turn and I check through. River is a blank, he leads again, and some donk bluff calls his river bet. I fold the best hand (the PFR had 99).

That said, for every time we remember folding the best hand because we just can't overcall on the river, we've probably made a dozen folds that turned out to be correct. You made a good fold, even if it wasn't this one time.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:49 AM

I really dont like the limp PF. If youre going to play it atleast raise it.