Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Critique this internet business idea: pooled lottery tickets

Hi, I just came up with this idea a few days ago and I need some constructive criticism or any thoughts/suggestions you might have. Basically this is the idea: start a website where you sell lottery tickets to the public (or rather they pay you to buy them) with the intention of pooling together all the tickets purchased on the site. If one or more wins, then everyone who purchased would split the winnings proprtionally. The site would make money by charging a commission on the winnings (say maybe 1-2% of whatever the jackpot is) and also on the ticket purchasing (take in $100 worth of $1 tickets but only purchase 98, so make $2, same 2% commission). First off, I haven't done any research yet, does anyone know if this type of thing exists already on the internet? Is it legal in the US? Do I need a license to purchase lottery tickets for people? Obviously all the money would be made on hitting a winning number, which we all know may never happen..but if enough people bought tickets on the site it might be worthwhile. It doesn't seem like the costs for running this type of site would be that high, I would obviously need some type of payment service which is very cheap and then advertising costs. Anyway, what do you think? Thanks in advance.