Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Set of Aces on VERY scary board...or I am very WEAK...

I think I will go from slightly losing to slightly winning as soon as I get rid of the rest of my weakness...anyone 3bet the turn?

Thanks all!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I will go from slightly losing to slightly winning as soon as I get rid of the rest of my weakness...anyone 3bet the turn?

Thanks all!

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not really weakness.
You must learn hand reading.
You must learn to play aggressively.
You must learn a helluva lot of stuff actually.

If you apply yourself you can improve, but it will likely take many thousands of hands.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:33 AM

Preflop: Haha, aces as a poster, nice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flop: Although it's obvious that raising won't protect your hand, your position sucks (the betting is coming from your left) and it doesn't look like your hand will be any more "protectable" on the turn, so I think a raise for value is in order here. You might also get a Q from UTG or MP1 to fold (incorrectly), just by facing them with another two bets. I doubt it, though, since people who put money into a flop usually see it through, regardless of the later action.

Turn: Boy, does that card suck. The thing with discounting your outs by making assumptions on what others have in their hands is that the odds on making your hand don't change (here's a fantastic post by Dave G. on that issue). Additionally, you have a "hidden out" in any Q, as that would result in a split pot. Only worth 0.2 outs (since you have four opponents), but it's something. With 10.2 outs, you could even push a decent equity edge, if you wanted, by raising, but you absolutely should not fold.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:33 AM

What should the plan for the river be if a brick falls? call one and fold for two?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:40 AM

During the hand I was too excited/scared, and had not even considered the possibility of forcing the Q...good pt
Old 07-20-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but do I raise given the large number of players padding the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Count your outs. Then you'll know the answer.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 AM

I've played about 14k hands now, my stats are good, but i KNOW i am constantly making obvious mistakes...with reads, i might have been more comfortable...but this hand was my first hand at the first table of the night, and honestly, it really threw me off...

I find I am able to play aggressively against passive players, but when someone fires back at me, then immediate i see the monsters under my bed. With a read of whether that player is usually passive or agg, I can decide to call down or fold I suppose...am working hard at taking lots of hand notes right now, and hopefully I can turn it around soon!

Thank god for bonuses =) and the words of encouragement!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 AM

The flop is an easy 3 bet here. The only hand ahead of you is QJ and even if you are behind you have outs to a boat. With 10 outs you only need two callers to make this raise for value, and you will definitely get at least that many. I actually can't think of any situation where I wouldn't be willing to cap the flop in a big, multiway pot with a set of aces.

The turn is closer, but you have way more than 5 outs here. You're probably up against at least one flush draw, one naked Q, and maybe someone with absolutely nothing. Even with a full 10 outs, however, you need everybody to call for a raise to be +EV, so I'm calling here.

If the river misses I'm calling down for one bet but not two. You would be getting probably 15:1, but I doubt you are good even that much if everyone is still in.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:49 AM

3Ks, 3Ts, 3Js, A, and 4Qs to likely split the pot

Am I missing any here? Not sure how I should be discounting here
Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3Ks, 3Ts, 3Js, A, and 4Qs to likely split the pot

Am I missing any here? Not sure how I should be discounting here

[/ QUOTE ]

Discount your outs because you think they won't improve you to the best hand -- not because you think they're already used in your opponents' hole cards. I think you have 10.2 outs here, maybe discounting the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a bit. Three kings, three jacks, and three tens will all give you the second-best possible hand. One ace will give you the nuts. Three queens will split the pot five ways and one will usually split the pot five ways.