Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Slowplayed AA

Villain is an unremarkable TAG.

What do we think?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>

I also thought about waiting until the river to pop it again.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Slowplayed AA

what happens after your 3 bet, does he cap? If he caps your beat...his range of 3 betting hands that include a k are only a few if hes aggressive, but i wouldnt doubt he plays QQ,JJ, 99 like this, which is what i think he has.. I like your line
hope u didnt get capped!!! look out for his 1010 then lol or the ole AK 1/256
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 AM

My thoughts are this:

He is not afraid of trip Kings here by check raising the turn after you raised preflop and on flop. I might look to see TT or AKs. I like preflop considering his TAG status, what do you plan on doing on river? If he checks bet and fold to a raise?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:28 AM

This looks like a spew to me on your part. The same goes for raising the river. It is important to think about what he thinks you may hold. You raised preflop which puts lots of Kings in your hand range. The fact that you didn't cap it will cause him (incorrectly in this case) to discount the possibility that you hold AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and TT. He knows that you know his 3-bet range also contains a lot of Kings and your flop raise tells him that despite that fact you still like your hand. Knowing all that he still chooses to checkraise you on the turn. I think given his turn checkraise you are almost always behind, occasionally tied, and very rarely in front. I call down and bet if checked to and I'm not particularly happy about it.

Cartman
Old 12-09-2005, 02:40 AM

This is a bad place to call PF because it's a blind steal and you cap a ton of hands here and he presumably knows this and won't be slowed down by you capping. Capping AA is how you take advantage of the shania created by all the times you cap 77 or KQ or whatever. Slowplaying is much more viable in spots where you wouldn't be capping many other hands, so your range after capping would very narrow.

Postflop waiting for the river would be much better since you get the same bets out of a worse hand but retain your chance to spike a river Ace. That said I wonder if we are even ahead often enough to raise again. That turn c/r is a fairly powerful move. He could certainly be doing it with a hand like QQ-TT but I'd think a K should be weighted higher. A bayes analysis might be useful if someone has the time.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 AM

I'm more inclined to fold the turn, than 3bet it. Either way, I think calling down is better than 3betting. If he doesn't have it, you give him a chance to fold, and if he has it, you lose the chance to spike an ace on the river (providing, that you are folding to a cap, that is).

Given that it is a blind steal situation, you probably have to call down.