Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Teaching a SNG \"class.\" How do these topics look?

I think things look good. Was your post written in chronological order from top to bottom? If so, I'd probably do the playing after the intermediate information.

I really like d) in the sample game section. Maybe have a couple playing and asking questions when necessary, and other students providing possible answers, with your advice and/or kudos to follow. Probably having the student with the least skills playing would help everyone the most (with the intermediate and advanced players getting more used to analyzing the whole table and table "atmosphere")

I also really like the trading hand histories idea. This, if nothing else, will get them thinking about the game without the emotions attached. Rather than being generally pissed off about a hand one should've won and not wanting to "relive the suckout" on his/her own, the other student may see the history and see the clear mistake made by the fellow student (ex.-not raising enough or at all preflop).

The books you have chosen are perfect. As I was reading, I was thinking your class reference book should be HOH 1&2.

Aother basic topic could be stack sizes and how they impact your decisions. This is very important, and I don't think enough players in SNGs really understand this. This could be taught in conjunction with the stages of the tourney. Oh I see you have it in the late section.... it is more important late, but you know what I mean.

I mentioned atmosphere earlier in passing, but I think this is important. This can be involved with psychology and classification of players. Classification is obviously vital, and I'm sure you'll spend plenty of time on this.

Your schedule looks great and I would suggest listing these points on a piece of paper for the class and not adhering to a schedule and checking next to the topics when covered (knowing you can always go back to it, but at least have initially gone over it). This allows for the interaction of student/teacher to flow easily and at a natural pace.

About the student... this is probably obvious, but it must be a good person who, like you said, wants to learn and has a passion for this. Jerks will really mess things up and the good students can suffer.

Just as an aside, you might want to include some advice on playing conditions, like no tv around, comfortable place to play, not talking on the phone, having plenty of water nearby, low noise, etc.

I think it's a great thing you are doing, and wish you well.

aura
Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 AM

That was a great reply, thanks.

The topics are listed in the order I planned to cover them, but I think this is perfect:

[ QUOTE ]
listing these points on a piece of paper for the class and not adhering to a schedule and checking next to the topics when covered (knowing you can always go back to it, but at least have initially gone over it).

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no danger of having any jerks messing things up. The people in the class will all be friends of mine (and I tend to avoid the jerks). I know their personalities and have at least some idea of their preferred learning style, so I don't think there will be any issues here.

One point I wasn't clear on: When you mention atmosphere, do you mean the general style of the table? (i.e. adjusting to a loose aggressive 10+1 game where everyone is raising/calling all-in with marginal holdings) I assume that's what you meant, but if you had something else in mind , please correct me.

Zac
Old 08-11-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say most people would rather have even a semi-systematic presentation, rather than a jumble of a billion posts to decipher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the learning is knowing how and when to sift the B.S. from the PhD.

Learning (like poker) is supposed to be fun. Part of the learning is the fun, part of the fun is in these forums and others like it.

Strike that. There are no other forums like this one.

Learning to prosper in the environment of (name the sport/pastime) requires knowledge of the vernacular, culture and customs.

Taking the time to particpate in, contribute to and learn from these types of opportunities is all part of the fun. At the very least, this forum should be required reading as part of the course.

SlaMcFla
Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 AM

fold preflop
Old 08-11-2005, 03:06 AM

grr. putting more educated players in my 10's? BAD!

j/k... you sound like a good friend to these people. I like your ideas. I think the best "real world" experience would be:

1) Recorded games you have memorized so you can answer questions on the fly, "Why did he do that? What could he have done differently?" etc.

followed by:

2) the other poster's suggestion of having the inexperienced players play a couple and have the other people collaberate with them.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:22 AM

This forum will definitely be required reading, and I will also encourage them post/reply to hands.

Repeat after me class: "holla."

I don't know if this forum is part of the 'fun' for everyone though, so in the end it's up to them to decide how much they want to participate.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:25 AM

Interesting idea to have the game memorized - I hadn't thought of that. I think that's a great idea, or to at least take notes on the tricky/strange hands so that I'm prepared to answer most of their possible questions. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:27 AM

I would put the gap concept up front. It's too important not to cover in lesson one. Also, it will stick with your students better if it's introduced first, before you teach the pieces that fit into it, rather than after you've taught the sub-concenpts. Just a though... this looks like a good idea.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:28 AM

You're welcome. I admire what you are doing and would love to do the same when I get good enough. Heh heh. Sounds like a great student body as well.

[ QUOTE ]
When you mention atmosphere, do you mean the general style of the table? (i.e. adjusting to a loose aggressive 10+1 game where everyone is raising/calling all-in with marginal holdings) I assume that's what you meant, but if you had something else in mind , please correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Tight/loose tables require different mindsets, and it's important to notice how the tight players are adjusting (or not adjusting) to the table. Same for the loose players on the tight tables.

Having a gauge on who's who on the table is crucial.... and reactions can be devastaing if, let's say the table is super loose aggressive and you go all in on a preflop raiser with 1010 because it surely will win. Oops... didn't notice that this guy had only played one hand all night (showing AQs) and is actually tight as a drum and had AA.

That might be a crappy example, but you know what I mean. In this example I was affected by the atmosphere of the table and I reacted improperly to it.

aura
Old 08-11-2005, 03:38 AM

Good idea. I'm actually tempted to lead off with an analysis of a situation where you'd much rather push with 32o than call with AJo.

I think that cuts right to the heart of the SNG philosophy, but it might be a bit much right off the bat to barrage them with numbers. It would probably have good shock value though. hmmm... In any case, I think you're right that I need to make the gap concept a centerpiece right away.