Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Default KJo hand - turn decision with 3rd pair and flush draw

Not sure about the turn. No reads on villain, so I'm not sure if he's the type to bet any pair into the pf raiser on the flop in this situation. I have a ton of outs on the turn, so is a check okay here? Also not sure about the river bet/fold in this spot. River seems like a close value bet to me.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 05-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: KJo hand - turn decision with 3rd pair and flush draw

I'm not sure I like it, the river seems like a very thin value bet, what kind of hand is he going to call with that doesn't beat middle pair?

I think the turn bet is kinda sketchy too, the Ac was a major scare card, so I don't see him calling with anything that you are ahead of right now.
I think I would have prefered to check behind the turn, and then call/raise a club, or J river
Old 05-23-2005, 04:39 PM

If you check the turn, are you betting a blank river if checked to? I think I'll get called with a weaker J, or some smaller pocket pair about as often as by a better hand when he checks the river.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:01 PM

I like the turn bet. But when he calls there I smell a rat and I'm checking behind on the river. With two overcards and a 3-flush I just don't think he calls with a hand you beat 55% of the time and obviously getting 3-bet sucks the big one. You have middle pair he's not folding a better hand.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:09 PM

Wow. I thought this was the easiest river check-behind ever.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM

What does everyone think about the flop raise? standard with 2nd pair?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:14 PM

The flop raise is fine IMO. If a rag hits the turn you can bet again, and hope for a free showdown after. I don't like the river bet either here. Too many draws to be hit, as well as more than a few overcards. I see a check/raise or fold happening here way more often than a call. That being said, I think the river fold is good after the c/r.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 PM

I'm raising the flop, I'm betting the turn, I'm checking the river.