Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Limit or NL...which is better?

About a weeks ago I started playing online w/just $50. I only play a few hours a week. I started playing .50/1 Limit b/c that is what I would play at my house. after a losing session i decided to play .25/.50 NL with about $36 left. Over the last 2 days I have turned that into $160. I find that it is easier to make money off of weak players w/the NL. I have read many books and consider myself a good player that understands the major concepts of poker, but am wanting to understand the subtilties even more. Do most people here find that NL is the way to make money or do I need to build my bankroll and move to a higher limit game where every player doesn't play to the river. BTW...I know that i had to little money to play either game, but i just wanted to try it out.

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-16-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Limit or NL...which is better?

[ QUOTE ]
I have read many books and consider myself a good player that understands the major concepts of poker... Do most people here find that NL is the way to make money or do I need to build my bankroll and move to a higher limit game where every player doesn't play to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should reconsider your belief that you are a good player based on the second part of this quote.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:21 PM

different strokes for different folks
Old 01-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Yep...

Start reading books and understanding the concepts because these are the types of players that let you make money. Your thought process is flawed.

Your sample size (a few days) is way too low. You could easily lose all your money and I'm not being a prick.

Some prefer NL, some limit... in general though it is easier to make money playing limit online because of multitabling and playing ABC poker.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the replys...I am going to keep playing and reading and maybe try limit more. I knew I shouldn't had said I was a good player. I do believe I know alot of the basics, but the finer points I am trying to learn...that is why I post all my questions.

Thanks Again, Chris
Old 01-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Personally I prefer NL because I get outdrawn a lot less often. In NL, I can make it incorrect for people to draw, even if they hit, whereas in limit people often accidently play correctly when drawing. I can also play tighter and get paid off more on my good hands. I win fewer but larger pots.

The downside is that mistakes cost a lot more in NL, tilt can be extremely expensive very quickly and reading hands is very important

My advice is to stick to limit and learn the basics until you are steadily winning every month and then try no limit. However, bear in mind that for some people limit is more suited to their style of play and one form of holdem isn't 'better' than the other.

Good luck and keep winning!
Old 01-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Which is better, chocolate or vanilla?

Do you get it?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:00 AM

Chocolate, because vanilla is the "plain" flavor.

IMO no-limit is much better for roll building at the $25 level. I seem to make more playing 6 $25 NL tables than I would playing 4 $100 NL tables since people are willing to go all in more frequently with a $25 stack - even though they probably far behind.

However I can't wait till I can bankroll the 10-20 / 15-30 games. The money you can make at the higher limit games is very attractive and the games seem to remain fairly beatable, whereas higher NL games def. get much tougher.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replys...I am going to keep playing and reading and maybe try limit more. I knew I shouldn't had said I was a good player. I do believe I know alot of the basics, but the finer points I am trying to learn...that is why I post all my questions.

Thanks Again, Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with the other poster. If you are playing the $50 NLHE tables with only a $50 starting bankroll, you have to get very lucky not to get unlucky if you know what I mean. However, if it was intention to reload if you lose it all, then bankroll here doesn't matter. You start with $50 hoping not to reload (this is what I did) the you have to play very conservative and at tables that can afford the fluctuations.

If you will reload, then play the $50 tables. It doesnt really matter at that point

Good Luck

Scotty O
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM

True True - make sure you have plenty of money to take a long dry streak of all-in losses / bad cards.

Losing an all in with a full stack shouldn't matter to you and your bankroll. Don't find yourself all in, sweating, hoping praying, then punching a hole in the wall when runner runner hearts flushes out your set. This is bad. Shrugging your shoulders is better. Only play with what you can afford to lose