Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Skilled LAG play?

What is it? My NL education was mainly from several tournament books HOH and earlier dreadful books, excellent books/essays by Ciaffone, general poker theory TOP etc., this site, and just playing.

None of these texts or sources provide a basis for how a player can successfully make the transition from a tight ass weaky with a sustained winrate at SS, to a good skilled LAG who can own the table with his post flop play. But all suggest playing tight to start.

What is it that the typical 2+2 LAG (sLAG) is doing differently from my 16/6/2 game?

Every time I post it seems I get told to fold preflop as it is. "Fold AJs UTG", "Limp AKo its -EV even in MP"

Then occasionally there's the non-specific "play more with position". Play what!!!!!

We aim for hands to double up on right? So how does playing 'Any 2' help accomplish this? Any 2 can flop two pair or trips but they do so infrequently. it's about 2% to hit 2 pair ( not including a pair on the flop and pairing one in your hand), 1.4% for hitting trips, 2.3% to catch a four flush to one of your cards. If you play any two suited you can make a flush or draw about 11% on the flop but your more likely to be the one paying off in a big pot there.
Cards with some connectedness can have from 2.5% to 11% of making a str8 draw or better and at least you might get something on these hands ( I know I've paid off 64o enough)

So should I be looking to play hands like T7o if i can limp it in to a multiway pot? Should I be calling raises with good position if I have even a 10% total chance of catching a draw?

It seems that this forum tends to lean in the direction of playing with a wining LAG style and I want to learn all I can here. It just all seems so hard when I spent so long just learning to fold junk.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Skilled LAG play?

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that this forum tends to lean in the direction of playing with a wining LAG style

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:57 PM

Have you read Supersystem?

Playing "any two," and picking up pots when no one has anything, means you get paid off bigger when you actually make your hands.

[ QUOTE ]
So should I be looking to play hands like T7o if i can limp it in to a multiway pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't! LAG is about raising w/ position (even w/ junk), not limping with garbage.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 PM

I dont know!!!!! Maybe I'm just suffering from that common poker players delusion that the LAGS have it all and TAG play is old news. 16/6 is still too tight though, and I just can't find a hand these days. Lastfew days or so I've ran at 11/3 !!!! This might be a monstrous run of bad cards or it might be that I'm on some form of tilt, but whatever it is, I'm definetly suffering.

full ring or 6 max??

Do you make that kind of play?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:02 PM

lag is loose aggressive.. the main difference between TAG and Lag is probably the consideration of position. LAG cares less.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:04 PM

I used to, and I got paid off handsomely when I made my hands, but I discovered that my postflop play isn't good enough, and my variance was huge.

You've just gotta be really good at making judgement decisions postflop.

So, no, I don't, but I know good players can. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastfew days or so I've ran at 11/3 !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play full ring? If so, this is not completely unreasonable. If you play 8 tables of 11/3 full ring play at the lower limits I guarantee you will make decent money.

I think LAG play is fine, but difficult when multi-tabling. TAG play may have a lower inherent winrate, but add in the factor of being able to play a bunch of tables at once, and it is the best internet strategy IMO.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you read Supersystem?

Playing "any two," and picking up pots when no one has anything, means you get paid off bigger when you actually make your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

so which is it? if they fold too much how do they call when you have the goods?