Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM

Default One of my favorite moves...

Not sure if anyone else does this, but...

A lot of times on the bubble, or even 5-handed, the next hand after I make a standard blind-stealing all-in, I oftentimes push with less than blind-stealing quality hands. I do this because I think that people probably saw the first push as a steal; when I push again, I think people give me credit for a very solid hand, since it seems a little too blatant a move for it to be a regular steal.

I hope I got the right message across there, I know I didn't articulate that too well. Anyways, thoughts? Anyone else do this?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: One of my favorite moves...

Either that or they will interpret you as an extreme LAG and call you down from every angle. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 PM

True, but I won't do this unless I have a table-image that would allow me to do this. Obviously, if I've had to show down weak hands prior to this, I won't do it. Its simply a move that requires that you pick good spots to execute it.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Ive done this before. I started to realize when I got a good hand and raise the hand after I just raised I rarely ever get called. Definetly depends on table image and other reads.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Probably works better the higher levels you are playing.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:09 PM

Does this really work? I kind of blew it off at first; since to me it would seem like another LAG steal. IDK, maybe I interpret things differently then everyone else. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 PM

I do this in home games; I don't trust it online because of donks. I guess it's level-dependent. np.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this really work? I kind of blew it off at first; since to me it would seem like another LAG steal. IDK, maybe I interpret things differently then everyone else. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, the OP has it backwards. I love when I make a steal and then pick up KK because I'm a lot more convinced that I'm going to get called. Perhaps against very high level opposition, but even then the easier assumption is just that you're a real maniac.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, the OP has it backwards. I love when I make a steal and then pick up KK because I'm a lot more convinced that I'm going to get called. Perhaps against very high level opposition, but even then the easier assumption is just that you're a real maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what I was thinking.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:35 PM

Let me clarify:

This works because:

1) Others recognize that YOU recognize that they would be more likely to call a second all in.
2) Because they know that you know (1), then they can assume that you are only going to be pushing with cards that live up to higher pushing standards.

In other words, if everyone knows that pushing twice in a row is just asking for it, then they will recognize that you know this, and have the cards to back up the possiblility of being called because you pushed the hand before.

That make any sense?