Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Should I limp 22 UTG?

No

If you are playing micro-limits and you are folding 22 UTG, either A) you do not understand how good and easy this hand is or B) you are practicing lousy table selection.

So, I repeat: yes.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:21 PM

I thought you multitabled 3/6....

Easy fold. Right?
Old 01-02-2005, 12:29 PM

I thought you multitabled 3/6.... Easy fold. Right?

No.

Let's say that you ranked the quality of all tables on a scale from 1-100. The made-up threshold at which limping 22 UTG is +EV is 65. Your average Party 3/6 table (of all the tables going at one time) is about a 60, give or take blah blah blah. Your average Party .5/1 table is an 85, and your average Party 1/2 10-max table is about a 75.

Now, understand that that is counting every shitty table that you should leave post-haste. With careful table selection, you can find 3/6 tables where limping 22 UTG is +EV, but it takes extraordinarily bad table selection (ala, I'm sitting in the 2+2 private game) to find a Party micro table where it isn't +EV.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Yeah, because at the 2+2 private table, players typically straddle when UTG. You would then re-raise with 2+2 at UTG+1 to isolate the straddle. I don't bother to import those hands into PT as play is generally just silly.

Vern
Old 01-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Isn't this a no-brainer? You are ahead of all but 12 hands. Plus, it's simple to get away from if you miss.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a no-brainer? You are ahead of all but 12 hands. Plus, it's simple to get away from if you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

if its simple to get away from when you miss.. then are you really ahead of an agressive AK, etc?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM

it's not a no-brainer, and you're not really "ahead" of all but 12 hands You've only got a small edge against any unpaired overcards.

Anyhoo, I made this thread because limping small pairs in soft games seems to scare some people. And I wanted to establish that that is dumb.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought you multitabled 3/6.... Easy fold. Right?

No.

Let's say that you ranked the quality of all tables on a scale from 1-100. The made-up threshold at which limping 22 UTG is +EV is 65. Your average Party 3/6 table (of all the tables going at one time) is about a 60, give or take blah blah blah. Your average Party .5/1 table is an 85, and your average Party 1/2 10-max table is about a 75.

Now, understand that that is counting every shitty table that you should leave post-haste. With careful table selection, you can find 3/6 tables where limping 22 UTG is +EV, but it takes extraordinarily bad table selection (ala, I'm sitting in the 2+2 private game) to find a Party micro table where it isn't +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this leads to the question I've wanted to ask for a long time (well I've only been playing for 2 months so its not that long). I play 1/2 mostly at Party Poker. How do you select a proper table?

My original technique was to sort the tables by average pot size and get on the waiting list for the top 3-4. I can tell you now that that's not it. Now I click hide full tables, sort by average pot, and open (but do not join) the 4 in about the middle of the list (without scrolling down). I watch each one looking for 5+ people seeing the flop for at least 2 hands out of 3 or 4. If a table doesn't pass this check I close it and open the next one down. When I have 2 or 3 that pass this check I join the waiting list for each of them, sitting at the first table offered.

BTW, I almost always limp in UTG with 22.

Bill
Old 01-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Bison you seem to think Party is the only Poker site when blindly saying always limp.

Take that 22 UTG over to Stars, Absolute, or TGC and see how +EV it is limping with small pairs in EP on tables that have less then 30% to the flop. Maybe it is...
Old 01-02-2005, 06:07 PM

How about a thread on playing AK after missing the flop