Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Ocean View Cardroom(Santa Cruz, Ca) baaaaaad rule.

GoT and i played the 2-100 spread limit game there last night. the buyin is capped at 100 so it plays pretty much EXACTLY like NL. EXCEPT that they made up some rule that you could raise 2-100 in ANY situation. so if brighten raised to 20 in front of me, i could make it a cool 22. if i raised to 100, he could reraise and make it 102...uhhh. i seriously could NOT believe they had this rule and we talked to the floorwoman for awhile, and she said she made up the rule and that it was working well. the other thing we talked about was that the betting is capped at 3 raises. so if there was an early raise and reraise, say one person raises to 5, the next person raises to 15, i could raise to 17 and close the betting. what do you think of this rule?

rj
Old 08-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Ocean View Cardroom(Santa Cruz, Ca) baaaaaad rule.

The only spread limit I've every played has been stud, but I believe the structure was the same. However, people would most often raise/re-raise the amount of the original bet.

BTW (sorry to mini-hijack), how is the poker scene in Santa Cruz? I did not realize they had poker rooms there, but my old lady may have to transfer to UCSC for the 06-07 school year (from u of oregon).
Old 08-27-2005, 04:42 PM

the poker scene is okay i suppose. the cardroom only has 3 tables, but bay101 has 40 and is only a half hour drive from here. maybe ill see you soon.

rj
Old 08-28-2005, 12:24 AM

Very moronic and bad rule.

Imagine the following...

I bet $100. A player goes all-in for $102 and someone calls. Now I can reraise any amount I wish, essentially raising my own original bet.

I make a hefty preflop raise and get five callers. The flop comes down and SB bets a small amount, the next guy raises it 2, the next two more, the next two more, betting closed. I can't raise again, they killed all the raises and prevented me from betting at all.

I could make up a dozen more scenarios like these, but I think you get my drift.

al
Old 08-28-2005, 04:21 AM

i think it could be the most collusion friendly rule in the history of poker. say colluder a raises to 100, next player calls, colluder b raises to 102, allowing colluder a to make another big raise. her logic was incredible, in that it was nonexistant.

rj