Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is 2+@ forums good?
No 7 20.59%
Yes they are good but why has my chat been banned at Pokerstars? 27 79.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Big Stacks Going at it

Look at it this way. The chip leader isn't chip leader over you by much. He has as much to fear from you (well, almost as much) as you do from him.

By calling, you are not pushing yourself out of 2nd place in chips, but you are providing yourself and the other large stack with two hands to take down the short-stacks with.

It's likely that you both will check the hand down to the river unless one of you hits a monster, so I think a call here is fine.

It's possible he might try to push you around after the flop, but not 100%. He could very easily be willing to check it down as well.

If he's got a monster pre-flop and you push, you're in trouble and losing all your chips. Folding I don't like, your hand is too strong 4-way.

Calling gives you the ability to see the flop and get away from it if necessary, but also maybe win a large pot and eliminate one or two other players.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at it this way. The chip leader isn't chip leader over you by much. He has as much to fear from you (well, almost as much) as you do from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point. My impression from the post was that the UTG was pushing a lot. I didn't get the impression that he would check down or back off to a call.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:19 PM

that was my point. I guess it depends on your read of the player's willingness to check it down. but I like it. Chances are, if you call, he will check to you. You check if you don't catch a ten (maybe bet if it's all undercards). If you check there, chances are most players will check it down to know 'em out, at least at the tourneys' I play. That would be my play from his position, but one of my problems is often expecting everyone to play like me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 08:54 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

If the flop comes with overcards to his 9's (which it did) he could very well fear that you have hit something, and be very willing to check it down.

If it comes all undercards, he might take a stab at it, but he might fear you've got a higher pair or a flush draw with overcards that you're willing to gamble with.

Either way, you have position, a strong hand 4-way, and a better shot at eliminating the short stacks and possibily putting yourself into the chip lead.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't articulate this in my post, but that's exactly why I favor pushing here.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't articulate this in my post, but that's exactly why I favor pushing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

but then you have one less hand that can be used to eliminate the short-stacks with.

If you push, he's only going to call with premium holdings that have you in trouble (Q/Q, A/K, A/A, K/K) I would think, he might call with J/J as well if he reads you for A/K.

I think you're risking too much for too little gain. Again, you have position on the flop and he's forced to act. You leave yourself an out this way, where you can get out of the hand with enough chips to still have a go at it, instead of committing all of your forces into a blind assault that you can't be certain you will win.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 AM

wow you folded pocket tens
Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 PM

I don't like the push. Maybe because I'm still smarting from that game on your birthday when I pushed my tens UTG into your button queens four-handed and went out from a spot that I was almost certain to get in the money from.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:23 PM

Stop pretending that you didn't intentionally throw that S&G as a birthday gift.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:48 AM

In my game?

A push re-raise would be a no brainer against all but 3 or 4 of the people I regularly play against, given the range of hands people are willing to get all of their chips in the middle with.