Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Pocket 7\'s out of position

[ QUOTE ]
First orbit, I felt a ton of weakness in MP2's betting, but i've also run into a lot of people who weak bet their overpairs on the flop to generate some action heads up so I didnt want to play a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If people are "weak betting overpairs" in order to "generate action" then they are not only minimizing profit when they win but they are asking to get busted more often, unless they get away from the hand more easily by keeping the pot small. But my guess is these opponents marry their overpairs and weak betting overpairs is just another sign of playing poorly.

Once again regarding your opponent, I don't understand these bets of twenty to thirty percent of the size of pot. Will these players bet made hands this weakly too? I haven't played any PL online and wonder if this is common, because in PL B&M ring games you rarely see these itsy bitsy bets given that in most areas the pot limit players are more experienced than the no limit players (NL has a much greater influx of people that came into poker as a result of TV poker).

I don't think its that easy to put this guy on overcards or a draw with overcards. He can have a real hand and the way to find out and/or charge him for his draw is to put in a near pot sized bet (and I like leading rather than going for the checkraise) on the flop. Given you checked, it is correct to call the small bet but then come out and lead at the turn when essentially a blank comes. Once again you find out if your hand is still best and at least charge draws a decent price (these itsy bitsy bettors shouldn't be the types to raise on a draw).

The big river bet just doesn't make sense against the hands you put him on and after the previous action. Better to check and call or put in a bet about half the size of the pot.

~ Rick
Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 AM

The way you're playing it, it would look to me that you have maybe ATs, check calling the flop and the turn and then betting the river when the second T hits, i think he probably has AJ or KJ. I like the pot sized river bet,should scare him off. Am i way off?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:17 AM

I know its party and i put people on overs way too much in hands like these. i like your line. i think its a good line because this player seems very inexperienced for these levels. the question that comes to my mind is what/why is he min raising preflop? after i saw the minibets on the flop and turn i d go with my thoughts that he is new/bad and thus i definitely like putting in the pottish bet at some point the turn doesnt seem like the place to come alive and the river does this time so i like it im just curious what folks think when they see odd betting patterns from a basically unknown player. i think he will fold some hands that beat you and an inexperienced player might holfd here like 99,88, a jack etc. jsut my thoughts,
jason
Old 04-13-2005, 12:18 PM

I think the miniraise was for mid pocket pair or KQ/AJ type of hand. I've seen that a lot from people on these tables, though I dont know why. After thinking more about the hand, with the read I had at the time the river bet doesnt make much sense (as you guys pointed out), but luckily if he did have pocket 88/99 or KJ/QJ/AJ i might have gotten him to fold down the winner with that river bet.