Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: think about this...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok, I think I'm still missing some stuff, but I tried to be as thorough as possible. I demand a lot of partial credit for showing formulas

[/ QUOTE ]

wow where is the 10 star option?

[/ QUOTE ]

baaaahahahahahhaha
Old 11-23-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really any different than asking if a plane can take off on a sheet of ice (or something frictionless)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in the sense that it is far more confusing for those who cannot separate wheel velocity from plane velocity in their minds! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this really any different than asking if a plane can take off on a sheet of ice (or something frictionless)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in the sense that it is far more confusing for those who cannot separate wheel velocity from plane velocity in their minds! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This ought to blow someone's mind: The wheels could be spinning backward and it wouldn't matter!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This ought to blow someone's mind: The wheels could be spinning backward and it wouldn't matter!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it def. blew my mind. now give the answer plz? and the answer to daryns skateboard thing too. me and my friend have a bet on both.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah it def. blew my mind. now give the answer plz? and the answer to daryns skateboard thing too. me and my friend have a bet on both.

[/ QUOTE ]

The plane can take off - this has already been established.

For Darryn's - as pictured, the skateboard would go backwards. If it were a perfect sail instead of that board, it would stand still.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought we determined it was a physically impossible scenario (contradicting assumptions)
Old 11-23-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For Darryn's - as pictured, the skateboard would go backwards. If it were a perfect sail instead of that board, it would stand still.

[/ QUOTE ]

when was it established?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought we determined it was a physically impossible scenario (contradicting assumptions)

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Noone thinks you can actually build such a contraption, but theoretically it could take off.

What contradicting assumptions are you speaking of?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when was it established?

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick's original response was the cleanest answer:

[ QUOTE ]
The plane can take off. The wheels and runway will accelerate like a mofo as it does.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really any different than asking if a plane can take off on a sheet of ice (or something frictionless)? If I'm standing on roller skates on a treadmill (which I do often) and somebody pushes me forward I'm still going to move forward, just as the plane will still move forward because the props are propelling it forward --- the wheels seem irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah except that if the plane is moving forward then the wheels can't be going the same speed as the conveyor so the original conditions are not met.

I fullyadmit I'm wrong about this, but I don't understand why. How long do we have to wait until one of the people who "gets it" tries to offer a clear explanation instead of a "You are wrong - do you see why?"
In each of the analogies mentioned for why the plane can take off, I fail to see how the original conditions of the wheels and conveyor moving at the same speed are met. Even though intuitively I believe the wheels should be irrelevant to the problem.