Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not angles, but just some random things off the top of my head:

1) Steiner Bros. get driven off the road by the nWo. Best moment in the history of wrestling as far as I'm concerned.
2) HHH marries a knocked out Stephanie McMahon in Vegas drive through.
3) DX invades WCW headquarters in Atlanta
4) All the nWo stuff was great early on, especially when Scott Hall dropped the TV title in the garbage can. Hey yo, indeed.
5) The original "This Is Your Life" for the Rock.
6) Hulk Hogan wakes up Gene Okerlund to go training with him.
7) HHH has sex with a corpse
8) Big Bossman eats Al Snow's dog
9) Big Bossman drags Big Show's fathers coffin around the cemetary from the back of a truck
10) Rock's limo gets creamed by a semi driven by Stone Cold

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much the reason I can't stand wrestling 80% of the time. I hated every single one of those angles and actually wish I could live in an alternate universe where these never happened. Its things like this which in my opinion give wrestling a bad name beyond that fact that it is "fake"

Any good TV show needs to have a sense of believability to it which allows the audience to buy into the product. This goes for shows like 24 as well as wrestling. What angles like the above do is take wrestling from being a drama to being a something resembling looney toons cartoons.

IMO these are angles which I would say did NOT work and should have been scapped all together.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you are the reason TNA exists today. There is a market for everybody.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:15 PM

I have to say, I couldn't believe you put the Big Bossman/Al Snow stuff down.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:17 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO these are angles which I would say did NOT work and should have been scapped all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't stand pure workrate TNA/ROH stuff and really appreciate a good angle/skit/promo. Much of what you posted though is pure wrestlecrap.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not angles, but just some random things off the top of my head:

1) Steiner Bros. get driven off the road by the nWo. Best moment in the history of wrestling as far as I'm concerned.
2) HHH marries a knocked out Stephanie McMahon in Vegas drive through.
3) DX invades WCW headquarters in Atlanta
4) All the nWo stuff was great early on, especially when Scott Hall dropped the TV title in the garbage can. Hey yo, indeed.
5) The original "This Is Your Life" for the Rock.
6) Hulk Hogan wakes up Gene Okerlund to go training with him.
7) HHH has sex with a corpse
8) Big Bossman eats Al Snow's dog
9) Big Bossman drags Big Show's fathers coffin around the cemetary from the back of a truck
10) Rock's limo gets creamed by a semi driven by Stone Cold

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much the reason I can't stand wrestling 80% of the time. I hated every single one of those angles and actually wish I could live in an alternate universe where these never happened. Its things like this which in my opinion give wrestling a bad name beyond that fact that it is "fake"

Any good TV show needs to have a sense of believability to it which allows the audience to buy into the product. This goes for shows like 24 as well as wrestling. What angles like the above do is take wrestling from being a drama to being a something resembling looney toons cartoons.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough please send over Angle, Michaels, Helms and a few others and in return ill send you a refridgerator box full of midgets, a dug up vince russo, a taser, Keven Sullivan and The White Castle of Fear. Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 PM

Yeah, my friends and I were just discussing this last night as we watched the PPV. We definitely hold most of the wrestlecrap stuff in fond remembrance. I mean, I know a guy who dressed up as Duke the Dumpster Droze last year for Halloween. These are 30 year old guys, some with wives and kids.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anything involving Kurt Angle. Anything. Dude's awesome. Giving you one specific, back when Steffie didn't have tits the size of my head, the tease that Angle would steal her from HHH. Solid angle, great matches. Kurt's the man.

One that they started out so inredibly well but [censored] up beyond belief was ECfnW uniting. All they had to do was make ECW the faces, but no. Vince couldn't swallow his pride.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was one good night but im not really sure if it was possible for the invasion angle to ever work. The problem was that everyone knew it wasn't an invasion and that the WWE had purchased the WCW.

Actually I take back my first statement. It never could have worked once they made the stakes control and the life of the WWE. At that point it became predictable, obvious and not longer interesting. We all knew the WWE wasn't going anywere. The invasion and alliance was interersting when the story was seemingly about the rebirth of first WCW and then ECW. If they make the stakes control of Smackdown and or Heat where instead of taking out the WWE Shane is instead fighting to get his company (WCW) on TV then everything becomes much more plausible and interesting.

Now the initial run-ins are about Shane and the WCW guys getting on TV and getting known. They have a reason to be there now. Also you add in Shane trying and steal away guys by offering them various things. Vince doesn't know who to trust and becomes more paranoid and the defections start to mount. All of them culminates with a Survivor series match where Shane puts up the life of WCW vs. say control of Smackdown.

WCW wins, which moves right into the company split. Now you truly do have 2 brands and a legitmate 2 world champions
Old 11-02-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anything involving Kurt Angle. Anything. Dude's awesome. Giving you one specific, back when Steffie didn't have tits the size of my head, the tease that Angle would steal her from HHH. Solid angle, great matches. Kurt's the man.

One that they started out so inredibly well but [censored] up beyond belief was ECfnW uniting. All they had to do was make ECW the faces, but no. Vince couldn't swallow his pride.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was one good night but im not really sure if it was possible for the invasion angle to ever work. The problem was that everyone knew it wasn't an invasion and that the WWE had purchased the WCW.

Actually I take back my first statement. It never could have worked once they made the stakes control and the life of the WWE. At that point it became predictable, obvious and not longer interesting. We all knew the WWE wasn't going anywere. The invasion and alliance was interersting when the story was seemingly about the rebirth of first WCW and then ECW. If they make the stakes control of Smackdown and or Heat where instead of taking out the WWE Shane is instead fighting to get his company (WCW) on TV then everything becomes much more plausible and interesting.

Now the initial run-ins are about Shane and the WCW guys getting on TV and getting known. They have a reason to be there now. Also you add in Shane trying and steal away guys by offering them various things. Vince doesn't know who to trust and becomes more paranoid and the defections start to mount. All of them culminates with a Survivor series match where Shane puts up the life of WCW vs. say control of Smackdown.

WCW wins, which moves right into the company split. Now you truly do have 2 brands and a legitmate 2 world champions

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely...this would have been a MUCH better way to handle the invasion thing. They really dropped the ball with that.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:15 PM

Cindy Lauper
Old 11-02-2005, 02:59 PM

I can't believe no one mentioned the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage and Roberts/Undertaker feuds. Aside from the snake biting Savage (which was silly ... I mean you could see the snake had been de-fanged. I was 11 at the time and I thought it was stupid, so that says it all), I thought both of these feuds were great.

The Flair/Savage/Miss Elizabeth triangle was good, too.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one mentioned the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage and Roberts/Undertaker feuds. Aside from the snake biting Savage (which was silly ... I mean you could see the snake had been de-fanged. I was 11 at the time and I thought it was stupid, so that says it all), I thought both of these feuds were great.

The Flair/Savage/Miss Elizabeth triangle was good, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did a good job introducing Sid (Vicious)Justice with this too.