Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 10:36 AM

Default live tournament hand 2

Another hand from the same tournament (150 entrants, 60 euros buy-in). There is now 25 players left, the average stack is 900, the blinds are 50/100, and I have 650. I am UTG and catch A3s.

With a M of 4.3 I feel it is time to make a move but I dont want to risk everything on such a weak holding. I put a 250 raise. What do you think of that move ? Should I have gone all-in ? Limped ? Folded ?

UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 raises to 500. Strange move, since he is a loose caller but not a very agressive player. It is the first reraise he makes since he arrived at my table (20 minutes) so I put him on a very good hand, high pair or AK. Everybody folds, so when it comes back to me there is 900 in the pot and I have to put 250. If I do so, I would have only 150 chips left. What should I do ?

Thanks for your help,

sahaguje
Old 10-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: live tournament hand 2

Fold preflop. A3s is a terrible hand to play UTG. You are likely to be called by a hand that dominates it.

The minireraise is probably a big hand, but you are pot committed, so you might as well push.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 AM

The raise is here is very bad. Limping would also be very bad. Your moves are push/fold, and I would have to know how many people at table, relative stack sizes, and my image before I decided on folding. Not enough information for me to make my decision.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The raise is here is very bad. Limping would also be very bad. Your moves are push/fold, and I would have to know how many people at table, relative stack sizes, and my image before I decided on folding. Not enough information for me to make my decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

8 players, stacks from 300 to 1600, I have 650 (maybe 5th stack) and I am seen as agressive.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:49 AM

If you are seen as aggrssive this is even more reason to fold pre flop, your raise isn't going to chase anyone away and if the flop doesn't have an ace you will likely lose the pot anyway. The only way I'd raise A3 UTG is if I was so card dead that the table perceived me as a super rock, but in that case I'd actually prefer to have 87s than A3 given risk of domination. And with 6.5x the BB you have to push preflop if you enter a pot.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:06 PM

I was gonna say the same thing. You would much rather have a suited connector to steal with here. You risk domination if called.
Obviously, with 650, this is push fold. With an M of 4.3, raising is right out.

Ask yourself this question: If you bet 250 and someone pops you , are you really gonna lay it down? If you do, you're down to 400. Doubtful. (and probably a bad move). If you're gonna call anyway, then push, because you increase the chance of someone folding.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your answers.

I know I made a mistake by raising only 250 in the first place. I should have pushed or folded, the latter being the best choice : I don't have a tight table image, A3s is likely to be dominated by many hands that would call me, I am UTG, and my stack is not desperately low.

I am more concerned with the second choice : how to handle the min-reraise. There is a good chance I am dominated, but I have fantastic odds : 250 to win 900, 1 to 3.6. The problem is that I only have 150 left if I call, so my actual odds are less favorable : 400 to win 1050, 1 to 2.6. Do you think it is enough to call, considering I put my opponent on a high pair or AK ?

++
Old 10-03-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another hand from the same tournament (150 entrants, 60 euros buy-in). There is now 25 players left, the average stack is 900, the blinds are 50/100, and I have 650. I am UTG and catch A3s.

With a M of 4.3 I feel it is time to make a move but I dont want to risk everything on such a weak holding. I put a 250 raise. What do you think of that move ? Should I have gone all-in ? Limped ? Folded ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do next time, don't do what you did. This is clearly a push or fold situation.
[ QUOTE ]
I am more concerned with the second choice : how to handle the min-reraise. There is a good chance I am dominated, but I have fantastic odds : 250 to win 900, 1 to 3.6. The problem is that I only have 150 left if I call, so my actual odds are less favorable : 400 to win 1050, 1 to 2.6. Do you think it is enough to call, considering I put my opponent on a high pair or AK ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Once you're re-raised you're clearly behind but leaving yourself with 400 and the blinds about to come through you.. I don't really see that as an option. I put the rest in knowing that I'm at best a 2-1 dog.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:52 PM

This is an all-in or fold spot, but I would fold here %100 of the time at a full table. Too risky of a play, and when you get called, you are usually at least a 2.5:1 dog.

Although you have to make moves the next orbit if you are to have any chance at recovery. Yes, you do need to accumulate chips quickly, but pushing with A3 utg is suicide.