Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Best NL hold\'em book?

I'm not a Lee Jones fanboi. I just think it's disgusting for them to do that to him, whether he wrote the worst book on Hold'em ever, the best book on Hold'em ever, or if he didn't even write a book on Hold'em at all.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:59 PM

I love when people take things out of context and create their own.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a Lee Jones fanboi. I just think it's disgusting for them to do that to him, whether he wrote the worst book on Hold'em ever, the best book on Hold'em ever, or if he didn't even write a book on Hold'em at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

what did they do?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:21 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...fpart=1#812875

Read it.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Wow, that brings back memories.

Despite the general trashing of Jones, though, I think even Mason admitted that the 2nd Edition of Lee's book is a good beginner's book and that SSH was not written for beginners.

Which is a better book? Well if you've played 10,000 or so, you've probably developed your own style, and SSH will fill in the gaps better. If you're just starting out, want and want some good advice as to how to get through those first 10,000 hands without losing your shirt, I'd choose WLLH
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Which book is better is irrelevant.
Every person should have some minimum set of standards for how they treat people. It's okay if you think his book is garbage. I don't think Lee Jones would have been crushed inside because someone didn't like his book. But when you attack someone personally, that's a different story. If you didn't know who Sklansky was, you would seriously think he was a 15 year old after reading that thread. That's how high school kids treat each other, not grown men.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sat in Borders yesterday and read the Cloutier book (including the cited passage) for about 2 hours, then bought the last copy of H on H. I didn't think very highly of the Cloutier book at all at the time.

Then I went home and applied some of what I'd read to a MTT. Following TJ's advice about 75% of the time, I ended up in 10th place (out of 135 people) without having to think very much. You can't argue with the man's success--there may be something to what he has to say. Meanwhile, I can't wait to get home tonight and see what happens when I play 100% TJ Cloutier!!! Including that 7-2!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the thread high-jacking that has obviously occured here...you play 100% TJ and you'll get blinded out more often than not, unless the deck runs you over. Start reading Harrington's book and you'll find a new world out there.

I agree with the general sentiments...HOH for tourney play, Ciaffone/Reuben for cash games (probably until Miller and Sklansky's book comes out).
Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info. My curiousity has been satisfied. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's great advice Cloutier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me it was not meant to be.

But seriously, do you only read for some little nugget of advice? If so, the sun only shines on half your world I am afraid.

The book may well be bad overall, I have not read it.

---Leavenfish
Old 01-19-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...fpart=1#812875

Read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread should be deleted and forgotten by man till the ends of time. What a bunch of...