Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Recommend a book for the psychology of the game.

Have any of you read Phillips' newer book, "The Tao of Poker"? I read "Zen and the Art of Poker" and thought it was really good. It even seemed really applicable to my lousy golf game.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:34 PM

It depends on your level, and the game you play. Psychology of poker is for beginners only, and Inside the poker mind is good, but mostly for limit players. Zen and the art of poker is an excellent reading if you often tilt, play badly in order to break even etc. It is good for all kinds of games.

But beyond these books, which are specifically about psychology, dont forget that if you discipline and improve your game, you will find the good attitude without effort. To avoid going on tilt, nothing is better than focusing on decisions more than results, and you dont need a specific book to focus on making good decisions. Read an odd-oriented book, like Science of poker, and you will soon look at the game a different way, without learning mantras or zen rules.

++

sahaguje
Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM

Not to stop this excellent thread, but I would I like to thank all of the repliers. It looks like I have the BIG 3 I need to hit up and in what order.

In response to a poster: Your right that just about any book contains information you could figure out for yourself, but I'm trying to give my self every possible edge. I also like reading.

If you knew how I used to tilt when I started and how often and why I tilt now, trust me you'd be very impressed. I'm still working very hard at making it something that NEVER happens.

Anyway, thanks all.