Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 11-30-2005, 09:32 PM

Default How does \'poker\' reflect on a resume?

Maybe this is the wrong forum but I don't care, I trust the opinions of more people here than any of the other non-strategy forums.

I'll keep this brief. I was laid off from my job six months ago. I've been gambling as my main source of income ever since.

Well, it's time to get a job again. In the interview, I have no problem explaining the gap in employment honestly. I wasn't ready to jump into another job right away so I took the summer off.

But what about the resume? The last thing I need is someone prejudging me based on their preconceived notions about gambling.

Thoughts?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: How does \'poker\' reflect on a resume?

I would stay away from mentioning it. Unfortunatly, a lot of people have a pre-conceived notion that all forms of gambling are bad, and there is not much you can do to change that.

Tell them you worked from home buying books at yard sales and selling them on eBay.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 PM

I say tell them the truth - if you don't get the job because of it, you wouldn't have wanted to work there in the first place.

And, it could actually help you get employment at the right place - the guy interviewing you might think it's cool, interesting, etc. Then you'll know that the place is a fairly cool place to work.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:41 PM

My gut instinct would be to shy away from putting something like that on a resume. You're better off leaving the gap and explaining it honestly upon being asked.

Or if you do decide to add it, make sure to throw on there the customer support phone # of the site you play at, so that the employer can confirm that you preferred playing poker over finding a new job.

Well, maybe ignore my latter statement. (I don't blame you though...I'd much rather be playing poker.)
Old 11-30-2005, 09:44 PM

there's been lotsa threads on this in the past man. prolly some helpful stuff for you.

and btw, i don't get why this quick reply saves any time.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say tell them the truth - if you don't get the job because of it, you wouldn't have wanted to work there in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all you need to know.

One less screen to go through, unless of course you preview your reply.

PG,

What kind of job, industry, level (how senior a position), etc?

Hope I can help,
El Diablo
Old 11-30-2005, 09:46 PM

i put in on under other intrests. the one person that mentioned it said she knew a few ppl in the office that played, or at least new that there r lots of ppl that play online. i down played the money aspect and focused on the logic and problem solving skills needed. the interview was for a 6 month position in engineering, so those skills r good to have.

another interviewer (dif compnay) asked me to teach him something, something i felt comfortable going into debth on. since i did basic poker theory. this guy was only a couple yrs out of college, so he'd played before but didn't know any theory.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all you need to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many people want a job at a place, but don't really "want" the job? I know when I first moved to San Diego I wanted an office management job with a certain company, I was happy that I got it, because I would have money. But, I didn't want the job.

craig