Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: $11: JJ early game, interesting hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy but I think I prefer to call preflop here. Play for set value and maybe for overpair value. I hate building a huge pot knowing that a least a couple of these yahoos will call, leaving me in an odd situation post-flop not knowing if they hit a set or an overcard. [shrug]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand your reasoning, but at the 11$ the chodes love to slow play. If you bet out they are forced to make a call at the very least will look suspisious. Just a thought though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suspicious? Um, no. The donks won't even think twice to call your raise here with 89s or A8o. Just because they limp and call a raise doesn't mean aces.

At any rate, how much trouble can you get in by tossing in 15 chips and seeing the flop? I like keeping the pot small and staying out of trouble in a hand like this. I'm just trying to get to level 4 with 600+ chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a mis-understanding, I was talking about betting ON the flop and you were talking about CALLING pf as apposed to raising. I could see that for sure, but I don't mind the raise from the CO with limpers from EP, unless they are being really tricky with a high PP then you most likely have the best hand. If you get chodes to call your raise with A8 or 9-8s then that must be +ev for you if you have jacks. I would be much more scared of a mini raise from UTG. BTW I don't think that the line is completely off, but I still think that a flop bet is the best way to determine where you stand.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I don't think that the line is completely off, but I still think that a flop bet is the best way to determine where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's the problem with his huge pre-flop raise. There was not significant money in the pot at that point, so all he did is create a huge pot (if called) that is difficult to play in the (common) event that overs fall.

After his raise, he was down to t615 with, significantly, two callers. The pot size was already t565 at that point. Any real C-bet is going to take a very large chunk of his remaining stack, and to me, with two callers of the huge PF raise, it's too likely that one of them checked an ace.

As the hand played out, I like the way he played it post flop. But again, I don't see the point of such a huge raise pre-flop. There are times when I'll push JJ pre-flop. (In fact, I made a post about it yesterday. 'JJ facing a nuisance raiser'.) But the situation here is very different. A raise to ~100 or a call pre-flop would have been much better, IMO.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW I don't think that the line is completely off, but I still think that a flop bet is the best way to determine where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's the problem with his huge pre-flop raise. There was not significant money in the pot at that point, so all he did is create a huge pot (if called) that is difficult to play in the (common) event that overs fall.

After his raise, he was down to t615 with, significantly, two callers. The pot size was already t565 at that point. Any real C-bet is going to take a very large chunk of his remaining stack, and to me, with two callers of the huge PF raise, it's too likely that one of them checked an ace.

As the hand played out, I like the way he played it post flop. But again, I don't see the point of such a huge raise pre-flop. There are times when I'll push JJ pre-flop. (In fact, I made a post about it yesterday. 'JJ facing a nuisance raiser'.) But the situation here is very different. A raise to ~100 or a call pre-flop would have been much better, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHH that does make alot more sense. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Well I still learning to.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:13 PM

Jacks get me into trouble so often at the 11's that I'm beginning to think that limping and playing for set value is the safest, most trouble free way to play in this situation.

I, too, have made the common mistake of building a big pot by raising too much PF. Jacks just aren't strong enough to do this at the 11's with these monkeys calling 4-5x BB raises w/A-6o.

Each time you think about hammering a bunch of limpers PF with your Jacks, repeat to yourself, "Overs are coming more than half the time on the flop and one or more of these goons are gonna have one." Who wants to be stuck in this situation? Not me. I learned my lesson. And I'm pretty sure that 45suited up above here is the one who taught me.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:20 PM

Don't get me wrong. JJ is a great hand. I think that there are times that I play them much stronger than a lot of players.

Say it's level 3, UTG mini-raises, gets a call, and I'm on the button with JJ. My chip stack is 1000. Insta push for me. Often when other people say, 'call and see a flop', I have no problem pushing JJ. It is a very strong hand.

I just don't agree with massively raising with it on level one just to pick up a tiny amount of chips, like the OP did in this case.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:29 PM

No, no misunderstanding. I love to look down and see Jacks level 3 and later. Just saying you helped me understand why I shouldn't be building a big pot with them early in a full ring. For me, there's far better spots than this to be risking a large percentage of my stack.