Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 12:39 PM

Default anyone see this? DN lays down KK preflop..

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poke...amp;ucat=&
Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: anyone see this? DN lays down KK preflop..

Now if this was a televised hand where the other guy had AA everybody in all the forums would be saying how easy of a laydown that would be [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 12:53 PM

Or if it was Phil Hellmuth, everyone would be saying what a total idiot, loser, fillmaff, etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:56 PM

Wow. As soon as he said; "There is no way you can beat this hand. It's impossible." my chips would have instantly been in the pot*. Doesn't this really mean; "I don't have Aces."?

* - Yea, they would probably have already been in the pot because I have KK but I'm just sayin'.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. As soon as he said; "There is no way you can beat this hand. It's impossible." my chips would have instantly been in the pot*. Doesn't this really mean; "I don't have Aces."?

* - Yea, they would probably have already been in the pot because I have KK but I'm just sayin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, I know we've all read the caro weak means strong and strong means weak....but I'm thinking negreanu gets pretty good reads.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:10 PM

does daniel play much online? i dont remeber seeing posts or hearing much about him in the big games. any info would be appreciated thx.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, I know we've all read the caro weak means strong and strong means weak....but I'm thinking negreanu gets pretty good reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the end he mentions that he is in a funk, and the "read" he put on that guy may be proof of said funk
Old 09-21-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this particular situation, it would've helped, since his read happened to be incorrect. "I folded my KK face up and my opponent, who also promised he'd show me turned over... QQ!"

He also mentions that the button is a "novice player" - generally speaking, it's only the more experienced players who will tell you the truth about their hand in the hopes that you'll think they're lying and do what they want you to do (Scotty Nguyen won the WSOP doing just that).

I don't know how much was in the pot (I didnt see the QQ's stack size listed anywhere), but you have to be pretty damn sure he can have nothing but aces to lay that down. If there is any possibility at all that he has just as low as QQ, your KK is a coinflip against his range. Obviously it gets much better if there's a shot that he has AK or JJ as well.

But the upside is that against someone with a range of {AA-QQ} in that spot, if you fold your KK face up, 6/13ths of the time you look like a genius.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM

fairly interesting article.

I'm not exactly kicking myself over a missed chance to lay-down KK...but I still think about it sometimes.

WSOP main-event (my first trip to Vegas): I had recently won a big hand with flopped set of Q's vs. AA.
Couple orbits later:

I have $18k. UTG has $11.5k.
Blinds 50/100:
Very tight player UTG (hadn't seen him show-down anything) bets $300.
With KK in MP I raise to $1000.
UTG re-raises to $5000.

I'm debating a little bit...but mostly am just stalling.
The UTG guy KNOWS I have him covered. He is also sharp enough to know that I am okay enough to not get too crazy against an UTG raise from a tight-player.

so he bet $5k here....and there's just no freaking way he is doing this without AA.
I don't even see him doing this with QQ to be honest but I guess it's possible.

He then says "do you have those queens again?" (referring to my set of Q's that crippled another guy with AA.

now I'm almost positive that he has AA.
Seriously...I knew it.

but as a brand, spanking new player am I really going to make some sort of ridiculous Hellmuthian play here?

Maybe he only has AK or something....and what the hell...even if I lose I still have $6k in chips left.

So I talked myself into pushing and naturally lose to his AA.

(fwiw - just calling here would likely have yielded the same result on an all under-card board).

Frankly, I just don't think I'm good enough to justify laying down KK pre-flop, heads-up like that.

If I was more experienced and perhaps better able to trust my instincts and reads I maybe could have done it.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:53 PM

Terible fold, particularly with the pot odds he was getting. Typical unknown player would go allin with all kinds of junk.