Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-05-2003, 09:23 AM

Default \"Thank you sir. May I have another?\"

Playing 5/10 hold'em and am dealt 2 red aces early position. 2 bet and everyone folds but loose aggressive guy in SB.
Flop K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] rag.
SB checkraises , I reraise and he caps.
Turn rag. SB bets, I reluctently call.
River K. Bet, call out of spite.
SB turns over K/10 off.
[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2003, 09:34 AM

Default Re: \"Thank you sir. May I have another?\"

Since he is loose aggressive, it is entirely possible that he is pushing a king on the flop. I would raise him on the turn. If he has just a king, he'll probaby just call.

That river card was awful for you. Tough break on this one.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:25 PM

You are better off slowing down and letting the loose aggressive folk thrash themselves against your big-pair stone wall. Rarely put yourself in a situation where you don't want to show down your solid hand.

The exception would be if there is a round that he will slow down. If he'll raise the flop, bet the turn, then sensibly check the river than wait until the turn to raise. But if he'll bet the river even with the gut draw that he check-raised you with, then call the flop raise and pay him off.

If you "reluctantly" called the turn bet then you really need to fold the river when he obviously outdrew you with the hand you were HOPING he was over-betting before.

- Louie
Old 07-05-2003, 12:50 PM

Hey Oliver don't frown; last month I had my pocket rockets picked by this Roger-Dodger hand: Capped pre-flop leaves me (SB), OTB and BB. Flop: JT6 rainbow. I bet out; both call. The turn is a blank. I bet again, BB calls, OTB makes a messy muck and he reveals an ace to table! The River: The last Ace. I bet and BB raises (AJs?, trips johnnies?), I re-raise and BB comes over the top (what the hell!). Yup, KQs.

An unbelievable one-outer. Now that's true Dickensian injustice.

SP
Old 07-05-2003, 02:40 PM

...call out of spite.

This is the second post where you've said you called a river bet "out of spite" while very confident you were beat. This is also another post where you lost with a premium starting hand to an inferior starting hand and bitched about it. You've got no chance of being a winning player with this combination of bad play and bad attitude.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:55 PM

To Dynasty in particular,

Again thanks for searching me out and giving criticism. As this player had been showing poor hands like this all afternoon I don't see the poor play. He and many others in this room could just as easily be bet a straight or flush draw this strongly as two pair or a set. Now I suppose I lost 1 bet on the flop by reraising. But there is little doubt in my mind that a raise on the turn would not induce a reraise. Therefore, I loose $10 less playing this way than raising the turn and folding the river.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:31 PM

Outoforder,

You must be new. Dynasty criticizes the play of others with just about every other post he writes. And like it or not, he's usually right.