Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2003, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth idiot!

I think Phil is great for Poker. His persona gets people interested, if for no other reason than they want to see him lose. For a sport or a game to gain popularity, you don't just need solid role models, you also need controversial talented bad guys. It's all about theater.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:29 AM

"the guy's a complete imbecile who's negative "brat" tude is a stain on all of poker."

--Actually, I think he's extremely good for poker, particularly from the perspective of attracting new fans. Case in point: He's the ONLY player on WPT that my wife can immediately identify, only because she can't stand him. He's a classic heel, and a lot of fun to root against.

In other words: Phil is great for poker like Bobby "the Brain" Heenan was great for wrestling.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:07 PM

Not 100% positive...but I beleive all 9 of his bracelets have come from Holdem events.

Ryan_21
Old 05-23-2003, 09:33 PM

CLEARLY he has some anger issues...but hey, he's been good for poker; he's been on CNBC talking about the WSOP recently and surprisingly didn't sound like a complete lout...his book isn't GREAT but it's a good colorful layman's/amateur's alternative to the somewhat aging books by some others. and i've played him on UB and at least on the internet, he's a pretty gracious guy and doesn't sneer at starchasers, etc.

he's a good player...chill on the trash!