Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: First Post

Like I said before, its great to have you on board, and Im sure you'll be a huge asset to this forum. Anyway, I'm sure lots of us are thinking it, so I'll ask you. What was your rationale for playing 55 the way you did at the final table?

It seems to me (and to a bunch of other people I think) that you called 1/3rd of your chips off playing for set value. I would understand the preflop call a little more if you planned on betting out/moving in on some flops, but you check in the dark. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:02 PM

So, I guess I was 2nd, not 1st.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:48 PM

Welcome to the boards, great to have you.

What specifically have you learned from Marcel’s guidance? Maybe a top 5 list of best tips would help us here.

--Greg
Old 10-28-2004, 06:54 PM

My PP handle is Huckseed96. I will be changing it in November. Advance thanks for sharing your Handle when you finish signing up. Look forward to your input on here and it is good to see you resuming your education. I think that alone shows that you have a good head on your shoulders. It would be easy to quit school and live off poker.Also if you see someone ask " Does the Brown Trout stay in your closet", you will be able to answer yes now. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2004, 08:15 PM

Can't wait for your contributions to this forum. Thanks for coming here instead of the WPT area!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:48 PM

I'm still cynical without some proof, but if you're the real DW then welcome to the board [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okie doke.

Can you explain your thought process behind the 55 vs. AK hand with Josh Arieh when you checked in the dark?

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured this hand would come up. The check in the dark is basically a move that helps you pick up "tells" on your opponent, without comprimising position. Mainly I want to see how he comes out, is he betting, is he checking, does he look weak, strong, etc.. So by me auto-checking, im now putting the ball in my opponents court without him having any clue as to what I could be holding. I figured if I don't flop a set, im not really sure where I stand. So basically, I was going to defer my move, and then counter any move made by Josh. A check in the dark works the best with medium to low pairs and suited connectors. In this situation the check in the dark did work out wonderfully. It's not a play that I highly suggest, its just something that I did because I think I did get caught up in the moment. It was by no means me trying to show off or be cocky.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mainly I want to see how he comes out, is he betting, is he checking, does he look weak, strong, etc.. So by me auto-checking, im now putting the ball in my opponents court without him having any clue as to what I could be holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

This certainly has been a highly debated hand, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people didn't like your play. Obviously kudos for playing so well in that event (and finishing 2nd in that WPT event), but the 55 hand and the A4 hand has lead TV viewers to see you as a lesser player than you really are, sadly (since a large majority of your other hands on ESPN were all-in hands).

My argument is that a dark check could work much more efficiently against a more tighter player, because I have to believe Arieh would have fired on the flop representing any hand. So if you miss, you're potentially looking at overcards, Arieh making another large sized bet that will obviously pot commit you, and you looking at a multitude of different hands Arieh could have that have you beat. But I digress...

What I am more interested in is the A4 play, final hand. You guys had humongous stacks relative to the blinds, and I was surprised to see you calling down each of Raymer's bets. You said you thought he had overcards, I believe. Surely there must have been some point where you thought "This isn't the best time"? Given Raymer's aggression, you had to have had a helluva read that he had high cards, because just about every other possible hand to put him on has you beat.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:43 PM

Out of curiousity, what would you have done if the board came three high cards, lets say 8 J Q, and he put you all in? Also, what hand did you put him on at the time if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-29-2004, 06:50 PM

I don't think against an aggressive player this is the best play. HE will be betting most flops with a 99% chance of overcards, so unless you hit a set you are facing a very difficult decision rather than forcing josh to a difficult decision, with 1/3 of your stack already involved, this seems less than ideal.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but it is OK to say you misplayed a hand rather than trying to rationalize it after the fact. Again, a lot of people do this, so I am not trying to call you out or anything.

-Phil