Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Cohnonas Grandes

Both of my opponents tend to be too loose and aggressive preflop, and are marginal postflop.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

River: (12.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, ...

After the BB folds the turn, i am betting literally any river.

What do we think?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Cohnonas Grandes

i would fold the flop... not only to it look like you may be drawing very slim, but it will stop you from making expensive plays for the pot on turn/river that never work.. haha.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Even getting 14-1 closing the action with a backdoor flush draw and overs?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even getting 14-1 closing the action with a backdoor flush draw and overs?

[/ QUOTE ]reverse implied odds... but really i just said fold cause it helped my joke.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:41 PM

Default The thing about my play...

Is that this pot is huge and not many people would expect a semi bluff here into two people. So yes, i think i can fold a naked nine, i think there is even a chance i can fold red tens or jacks from time to time with a 4 straight and 3 flush on the board. Maybe i am off on this, but this isnt some 1-2 game, people so find folds sometimes.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: The thing about my play...

In what sense are they "marginal postflop", weak-tight? I find that people who are loose preflop will also be loose in calling down. Not always though.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: The thing about my play...

[ QUOTE ]
Is that this pot is huge and not many people would expect a semi bluff here into two people. So yes, i think i can fold a naked nine, i think there is even a chance i can fold red tens or jacks from time to time with a 4 straight and 3 flush on the board. Maybe i am off on this, but this isnt some 1-2 game, people so find folds sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume that "marginal postflop" means that they pay some sort of attention as the hand progresses. You 3bet preflop, and got capped. What hand do you expect people to put you on when you pop the turn? A-Big of spades is the only sellable hand, and anybody w/ the A or K knows you can't have that, cuz they have one of your cards. They certainly aren't going to believe an 8, so the only way this has any chance is if nobody has the A or K of spades, nobody has an 8, and nobody has 2 pair. Furthermore, if these players have any history with you they'd know that you'd c/r 2 overs and flush draw on the flop 100% of the time, you didn't do that. The way you played this hand i'd put you on A-big with one spade. No other hand makes sense.

If you wanted this to work, I think you needed to set it up better on the flop, that or you and I have a very different idea of "marginal".

lf
Old 11-04-2005, 12:53 AM

Default (almost) no one finds a fold here...

the reason being this play is so transparent on a draw board. you i and everybody else faces this a dozen times a day and goes into robo call down mode against all but the most passive foes. i win more money from habitual turn raisers than any other foe, i keep the stat front and center.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 PM

Hmmm... why do i think the button had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and called down with top pair here on the river?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... why do i think the button had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and called down with top pair here on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
sure looks that way.