Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2002, 05:53 PM

Default Problems in limit hold\'em tournaments.

Hello all,

I have the feeling, that I'm quite good at No limit and pot limit hold'em tournaments. However, when I play Limit hold'em tournaments, I perform much worse. It seems, that I get overdrawn too much.

So, my question is, which basic things are different, when comparing limit hold'em and pot/no limit hold'em play?

I don't have any example hands, but I think there is some general guidelines, which I haven't realized.

Thanks,

- mongeron
Old 09-10-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Problems in limit hold\'em tournaments.

First, if you are playing relatively low buy-ins, you probably have more of an advantage in NL and PL, because you only need an opp. to make 1 mistake to double you up. Because of this, I feel that it takes more luck to win a limit event.

Craig
Old 09-11-2002, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Problems in limit hold\'em tournaments.

IMO, the best NL/PL tourney players steal a lot. They know when to attack the blinds, and when to reraise a steal-raise. They know pretty well who will lay down.

But, in limit games, steal opportunities are a lot less common. Frequently somebody calls, whether its the blinds or someone behind you. Now, what do you do when you miss the flop with your AQs? Or the flop comes K93 to your JJ? These decisions are hard in NL/PL, but harder in many ways in limit. If you bet the flop and get called, it's hard to tell if they're on a pair, a draw, or a trap. In NL/PL, it's usually easier to tell, IME.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)