Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Difference btwn. 30+3 and 50+5

I play 30+3 on Party and win consistantly. I avg. about $10-$16 a tournament... 36% ROI. I have been doing well in these over past few months, and built up a nice bankroll.

BUT!!! I got creamed at 50+5's. Is there a significant difference in players between the two? Has anyone had this experience? Any thoughts on your experience here would be appreciated.

thanx
sly
Old 01-22-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Difference btwn. 30+3 and 50+5

How many tournamnents do you have at each level?

I have about 200 SNG's at the 30 level(actually quite a bit more but only 200 were i have logged my results), and are thinking about gradually moving up to the 50's.
Yes i now 200 SNG's is not statistically significant, but i have the bankroll and want to give it a try.
My plan is to play 1 30$ and 1 50$(i usually play 2 tables), and maybee play like 10 or 20 50 dollar tournaments and evaluate my results.

So what is your impression about the difference between these two tournaments?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:43 AM

zaph-
sounds like we are on same path... I have about 200 as well and am consistantly winning 30+3's. I will tell you this... the 50+5 are much tougher. They are not unbeatable. And granted I only played 20 tournys at 50+5...but I could just tell right away they were tougher players. They are not so much overly creative players, just a lot of tighter ones. This led to not winning as much with my big hands, and not really being able to play in murky situations. It was tougher to extricate money from these players.

All in all...it seemed like a lot less fish. And I have grown dependant on these fish to pay some of my bills over past few months.

I am curious as to your - and other's - opinions of the 50+5's. Good luck...

sly
Old 01-22-2005, 01:44 AM

I've read that it's common to have lousy results when you first move up to the next level, not because the level of play is SO much higher, but because you psych yourself out and don't play as well yourself for a while. Think back: were you really as confident, and ready to make aggressive plays when appropriate?

I'm about to try moving from 33s to 55s myself, so I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:59 AM

yah there is some merit to your point- definitely. I was certainly a bit more timid than usual. The players, however, were much better - again, more solid at least. I did not see as many goofs in there calling all ins with 46s, and such. But maybe I do need to stick it out a bit longer and see how it goes.

I would like to hear from anyone who has already made the jump...and perhaps has some confidenbce bossting pep talk for us who are considering the move.

sly
Old 01-22-2005, 02:03 AM

I'm also having the same problem as you are, and the main reason is because of the deeper starting stacks. This results in a larger amount of players remaining when the blinds are really high, meaning we still have to play real poker at 100/200 and 200/400 instead of the all-in poker that we're used to at these levels.

Other than that, there are still alot of fish in the 50's... but there are also alot more good players as well.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes i now 200 SNG's is not statistically significant, but i have the bankroll and want to give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually 36% ROI with 200 SnGs is pretty darn significant. You are 90% confident you are at least a 10% ROI player or better based on the analysis posted here

Pokerscott
Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually 36% ROI with 200 SnGs is pretty darn significant. You are 90% confident you are at least a 10% ROI player or better based on the analysis posted here

Pokerscott

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way those numbers are accurate.

200 is not enough SNG's to get a good idea about where you are long term. I think the biggest mistake young SNGers make is moving up levels after having what they consider to be semi-long term success at a lower level. 200 is really nothing. When you move up to almost double the buy in, if you go on a downstreak early you can almost blow your bankroll.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt a higher level, considering you may very well be giving up money by not playing there. The thing you have to realize, is the fact that you had a 36% ROI over 200 sngs (really insignificant), means zilch about where you are going to stand at the 50+5's.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:43 AM

well you may be mixing mine and Zaph's posts; but nonetheless...my stats are 36% ROI at 30+3 and 200 sng's... so if that is what the #'s mean...awesome!

My concern is that I did not feel like the 50+5's were as easy to beat. I expected a higher level of play...but it seems quite a bit more difficult. I was inquiring as to whether anyone had any experience at 50+5's and could disseminate some knowledge as to how much more difficult they are...or am I getting a distorted/ paranoyd perception?

sly
Old 01-22-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way those numbers are accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say I'm 99% confident the numbers are accurate...you got any rationale behind your skepticism or just 'feel'?

Pokerscott