Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Baby ace from the SB

A 40/10 player limps from the button, and you complete A2o from the SB. BB is relatively unknown, but seems to be around a 35/12/1.5 or so.

How do you play this postflop?

Do you bet out on uncoordinated, or semi-coordinated flops? Do you check/fold on highly coordinated flops?

Flop 1:

Q73r. You bet, only button calls. Do you follow through on the turn?

Flop 2:

984 two tone. You bet, both call. You check/fold the turn UI? If only 1 opponent calls, you follow through, and c/c the river UI?

Any other advice about postflop play after limping with this hand?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Baby ace from the SB

I dont know if i like this complete at all.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 AM

I check fold if I dont hit anything and I complete any ace with a 1/2 blind structure but not with 1/3.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:08 AM

well first i'd raise preflop.

flop 1 i wouldn't follow through on the turn unless i had reason to believe it was worth it, he's got to have something to call on a flop that dry. on flop 2 i'm out ASAP.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:47 AM

I normally fold this too, but TStoneMBD told me to complete, as it was likely that button would have raised if he had an ace, and I am probably in the lead.

I just don't really know how to continue once I am in the hand.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:47 AM

Fold preflop. Your ace hits and if you win the pot you win 1 or 2 BB's maybe. When you lose the hand which is more often your going to lose in the 2-4 BB's range.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:54 AM

i wouldnt complete preflop if i was going to bet on out on 984tone boards. i dont recommend that you steal as many pots as you have been doing. at 5/10 it just doesnt work and youre costing yourself money. this hand definitely has value preflop however and is a good complete from the SB. some would argue a raise and i like raising better than folding, but i like completing best. play your hand for pair value, dont just bet at flops because you can.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldnt complete preflop if i was going to bet on out on 984tone boards. i dont recommend that you steal as many pots as you have been doing. at 5/10 it just doesnt work and youre costing yourself money. this hand definitely has value preflop however and is a good complete from the SB. some would argue a raise and i like raising better than folding, but i like completing best. play your hand for pair value, dont just bet at flops because you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. So basically we are only continuing if the board is extremely dry, or we hit a pair?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:03 PM

well id probably bet alot of boards when i flop a wheel draw or the board is paired, but your hand also has value in those times you get to showdown without paying bets to do so.

i think its ok to steal flops against players that you know will fold when they miss the board, but you need a read. most people who are 40/10 and limping on the button are going to call this flop bet with any 2 as if it doesnt matter what cards they have.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:04 PM

I like TStone's approach as outlined in this thread, this corresponds pretty closely to how I play crappy Aces in the SB.

/mc