Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Default QTs on the button - first hand post

My first hand post, sorry for typing it up without a hand converter - I am away from my pokertracker computer at the moment.

3/6 limit table - fairly tight and aggressive, no obvious bad players. UTG+1 is maybe a bit loose (25VP$IP over 100 hands), but tricky. This hand is fairly atypical, rarely this many people in, rarely all calling on the flop.

PRE-FLOP
Hero is on the button with QcTc
UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, EMP1 limps, LMP limps, hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, all call.
[11SB]

FLOP [board cards 9c,8s,5d ]
BB checks, UTG+1 bets, EMP calls, LMP calls, hero calls, BB calls
[16SB]

TURN [board cards 9c,8s,5d,Ac ]
BB bets, UTG+1 calls, EMP folds, LMP calls, hero raises, BB calls, UTG+1 3bets, LMP folds, Hero calls, BB calls
[17BB]

RIVER [board cards 9c,8s,5d,Ac,Jd ]
BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG+1 3bets, Hero caps
[23 BB]

--

I can't decide whether I really like the way I played, or whether I played almost every street wrong (exclude river, it plays itself).

I have some thoughts on why I played it the way I did, and what I think I would do differently in retrospect, but will hold off until after feedback.

Thanks!
latefordinner
Old 11-22-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: QTs on the button - first hand post

Raise the flop.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:27 PM

One could argue for a call on the turn, but a raise isn't horrible. You've got great equity against a large enough field (drop one villain and I think it's definitely just a call).

The only danger would be if you think BB might 3-bet, thus blowing everyone else out. That would suck. As is, having UTG+1 3-bet isn't awesome since you lost one guy, but it's not the end of the world since BB still came along.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:53 PM

I would have limped pre flop.

Flop outs - gutshot 4, bdfd 1.5 and overcards 3. 8.5 outs equity 30%.

Turn outs - 9 flush, 3 gutshot. 12 outs equity 26%.

Add in the fact that you could possibly get a free card on the turn i think the flop is a better place to raise. Maybe the overcard outs should be more discounted on the flop and get some weight on the turn but this is just how i see it against such a large field.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:28 PM

I would probably just limp preflop (though a raise isn't too bad) but I really like the idea of a flop raise another poster was talking about.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 PM

i like limping along pf. on the flop, i would just call aswell, since you don't have any interest in knocking anyone out, and a freecard would be far from guaranteed. i would've just called the turn aswell. what are you trying to do here? fold everyone out? it certainly can't be for value since you have AIR.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:23 PM

PF is close. I sometimes limp, sometimes raise in this spot. On the flop, I would consider raising if there was a good chance for a free card, because you have decent equity here. If the game is aggressive and you stand a good chance of getting 3-bet, calling is good.

On the turn, I would just call, because you don't have enough equity to raise. (Raising might be correct if the turn was the 2c instead of the Ac.) As it is, BB has at least an ace and so neither a Q nor a T is an out for you.

River looks good. This is definitely not a place to go for overcalls. BB might call 2 anyway and UTG+1 might 3-bet with his strong but non-nut hand.