Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Bet or check?

canterbury 15/30 9 handed
I do not know how to play poker. Please teach me.
SB here i know very little about, other than he is about 60 years old, is dressed in a sweatsuit, has on many gold items of jewelry and earlier was on the phone discussing tomorrow's football lines. EP is a regular who plays OK and knows who i am. BB is a big dummy.

EP limps, folds to me on the button with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I raise, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop (4 players): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

checks to me, I bet, SB calls, BB folds, EP folds.

Turn (2 players): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, I........
Old 11-19-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Bet or check?

Bet, fold to a raise, and check behind on the river. Given the blinds this might be too weak a hand to isolate with preflop...

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-19-2005, 06:35 AM

Against an unknown player, absolutely bet. Against a player with 'typical' blind looseness there are a million CCing hands you are ahead of here. Many players would peel a card with just a good diamond.

If he has a weak ace, so be it, you'll make up this profit next time when you have AQ and the action is the same. Finally it isn't inconceivable that he could fold a pocket pair over yours, if he decides that you are serious.

This is a instance where I think you could safely fold to a C/R.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:58 AM

Preflop: If the blinds are tight and you have good control over your opponent(meaning he respects your raises and wont chase that much postflop) then I like the raise. In the typical live game the blinds are seldom tight enough to make iso raising with 66 here correct IMO and in your game it looks to me that the blinds are also not tight enough to make this play. So I would just limp in with 66. FLOP: you must bet to force out all overcard type hands, believe it or not this is actually one of the better flops for you since hands like 77,KQ,QJ will most likely fold to a flop bet, which would not be the case on a Ten high flop. TURN: This pot has reached a decent size, you have one opponent left who has shown no strength, standing between you and this pot, you must bet and give him a chance to fold. Check the river if you dont improve.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: If the blinds are tight and you have good control over your opponent(meaning he respects your raises and wont chase that much postflop) then I like the raise. In the typical live game the blinds are seldom tight enough to make iso raising with 66 here correct IMO and in your game it looks to me that the blinds are also not tight enough to make this play. So I would just limp in with 66. FLOP: you must bet to force out all overcard type hands, believe it or not this is actually one of the better flops for you since hands like 77,KQ,QJ will most likely fold to a flop bet, which would not be the case on a Ten high flop. TURN: This pot has reached a decent size, you have one opponent left who has shown no strength, standing between you and this pot, you must bet and give him a chance to fold. Check the river if you dont improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I gain more folding equity on this board by raising preflop? I may be giving my opponents too much credit here, but are any of them gonna believe that I limped an ace I can't raise with on the button?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:28 AM

You could play it either way.

The small blind called your raise cold pre-flop out of position in the small blind and called your bet on the flop when an ace flopped. Unless he is chasing the flush, which is less likely them him holding an Ace, he has you badly beaten. If I decide to check, I would hope the river comes a 6 and he bets into you. If the river doesnt come a 6 I would probably fold or maybe call if he bets because your check has indicated you dont have an Ace and he more likely is betting his Ace for value but could be betting a busted hand just because you checked. Also, although less likely, he could be sandbagging trips, another reason to fold on the river.

The other line would be to bet the turn and bet again if the river comes a 6. If he calls the turn, check it down if he checks the river and you dont catch your 6. The bad part about this play is that you have to fold if he check-raises you, whereas by checking you escape his sandbag and will sometimes catch the 6 on the river to beat him.

best of luck
-J
Old 11-19-2005, 07:46 AM

Hmmmm... old guy who likes to gamble flat calls the flop bet. I think he's probably on a flush draw, which suggests you should bet your 6s and check behind the river.

Unfortunately, if he likes to gamble, you may well be exposed to a move here if you bet. A turn check-raise will be unpleasant, especially since if he's capable of putting a move on you, he may well bluff the river if you check behind.

So, I'm torn between bet-folding and checking behind, and checking calling a river bet on all non-diamond rivers. I'll throw out a mixed strategy between the two of betting twice as often as checking...

{-, 33, 67}

good luck.
eric
Old 11-19-2005, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: If the blinds are tight and you have good control over your opponent(meaning he respects your raises and wont chase that much postflop) then I like the raise. In the typical live game the blinds are seldom tight enough to make iso raising with 66 here correct IMO and in your game it looks to me that the blinds are also not tight enough to make this play. <b>So I would just limp in with 66</b>. FLOP: you must bet to force out all overcard type hands, believe it or not this is actually one of the better flops for you since hands like 77,KQ,QJ will most likely fold to a flop bet, which would not be the case on a Ten high flop. TURN: This pot has reached a decent size, you have one opponent left who has shown no strength, standing between you and this pot, you must bet and give him a chance to fold. Check the river if you dont improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open limping from the button is bad enoguh, but with small PP?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:09 AM

For some reason I thought we had a gutshot draw and wondered why everyone was saying bet/fold the turn. Now I see we don't have the gutshot it's an easy bet/fold against an unknown.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: If the blinds are tight and you have good control over your opponent(meaning he respects your raises and wont chase that much postflop) then I like the raise. In the typical live game the blinds are seldom tight enough to make iso raising with 66 here correct IMO and in your game it looks to me that the blinds are also not tight enough to make this play. <b>So I would just limp in with 66</b>. FLOP: you must bet to force out all overcard type hands, believe it or not this is actually one of the better flops for you since hands like 77,KQ,QJ will most likely fold to a flop bet, which would not be the case on a Ten high flop. TURN: This pot has reached a decent size, you have one opponent left who has shown no strength, standing between you and this pot, you must bet and give him a chance to fold. Check the river if you dont improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open limping from the button is bad enoguh, but with small PP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hes not open limping, you misread the OP.