Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Flopped low 2-pair, pf raiser bets

1/2 Limit on Bet365. Villain, after 50 hands, is 15.52/13.79/6

Hero dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pre-flop: UTG calls, Hero calls, Villain raises, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 4 folds, UTG calls, Hero calls

Flop (9.5 SB) (4 players): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checked, Hero checked, Villain bet, MP3 folded, UTG folded, Hero ???

<font color="blue"> </font> Also, should I have bet the flop?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Flopped low 2-pair, pf raiser bets

I wouldn't bet into this many people with just the 2s.
Fold to the bet.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:42 PM

You didn't flop a low 2-pair. That's like saying you hold AKs on a QQQ flop and you flopped trips. You flopped an underpair. Just fold, you have two outs and enormous reverse implied odds.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:30 PM

Auto-fold.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Results/Further Thoughts

I folded.

Afterwards, however, I wondered if raising to try to win the pot might be a reasonable play.

Here is my thinking. The Villain had shown massive aggression post-flop (and pre-flop, though tight). The board paired, making it less likely he hit his hand (assuming he did not have a pocket pair). If he missed his hand, the flop bet could simply be a continuation bet.

Given his tight nature, if he missed his hand, I think he might have folded to a check-raise. (I unintentionally omitted saying that he had not gone to any showdowns -- he either folded or was able to get his opponents to fold previously.) With 10.5 SB in the pot, if I raised (2 SB), that means I need to win the pot right then a little less than 20% of the time. (And I'm not putting any more money in U/I.) With Villain's stats, I wonder if I do get him to fold 20% of the time. I still suspect not because I wouldn't expect him to bet into 3 people, but a continuation bet is so common here . . . anyhow, that's why I posted this hand.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:12 PM

i'd raise this flop and bet the turn. he raises a bunch preflop and ace high hands look good on this flop, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that he'd bet here 4-handed AK/AJ/ATs/KJs/KTs. do you really think he'd not bet unimproved on the flop?

the great thing too is he may wind up folding 88-JJ either to the flop raise or to the turn bet. i can't see why everyone is saying this is an auto-fold.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:17 PM

Eh I guess you can call and re-evaluate. There are some negative implied odds here as you are pretty much going to the end if you call now and the turn is a safe looking card. That plan seems reasonable enough to me though. Fold on 4th street if a bad card hits (an ace for example).

The only play I really hate is raising here. I can run some numbers on the EV of calling if you want me to. Actually I'll just do it because it is an interesting spot.

Brad
Old 10-16-2005, 05:51 PM

Let's say that we check/fold to any turn A or Q. If the turn card isn't an ace or queen we will call-call no matter what comes on the river. Even if a deuce comes off we will just call for the sake of this exercise.

His range: 55+,A8s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+

Our 4th Street Win% = 36

EVfold now = 0

EVcalldown = .851(.36*9.75BB - 2.5BB) = + .86 BB
EVfold turn = .148*-0.5BB = -.07 BB

EVnet = ~ + 0.8 BB

This plan should work as long as you can count on him to put bets in with less then what you have. If he will sometimes give up on the river then it is closer, but calling down in this spot seems okay.

Brad

If we fold to any turn broadway...

EVcalldown = .596(.41*9.75BB - 2.5BB) = + .89 BB
EVfold turn = .404*-0.5BB = - .2 BB

EVnet = ~ + 0.7 BB

*Edited to say that I accidentally put in those times that we will call (on the river) even when our 2-pair turns to crap. So the actual EV will be somewhat higher then predicted since we would fold when the board is double paired.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:04 PM

You need to fold that flop. The only good 2's are in a multiway pot is for flopping sets...they aren't going to beat anything else.

Limping that far up front is somewhat questionable as well, unless the game is loose.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 Limit on Bet365. Villain, after 50 hands, is 15.52/13.79/6

Hero dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pre-flop: UTG calls, Hero calls, Villain raises, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 4 folds, UTG calls, Hero calls

Flop (9.5 SB) (4 players): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checked, Hero checked, Villain bet, MP3 folded, UTG folded, Hero ???

<font color="blue"> </font> Also, should I have bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the early read, villain raises a bunch of hands preflop. I don't mind doing any of the following:

1) Call down (if villain is very aggressive)
2) Check-raise flop, bet turn (if villain might get timid and take a cheap showdown)
3) Call flop, check-raise turn (if villain is capable of folding)
4) Call flop, call turn, bet river (if villain is aggressive, but has problems pulling a river bluff)

I think this hand could be a minor extension of the No set no bet? post from Entity a while back. I know that the situations are quite different, but I think the same idea still applies. Even though there's a high card on the board, it's only heads up, reducing the chances that someone has a better pair.