Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Now or later?

Canterbury 15/30 (9 handed)
I am playing well and have 3K in front of me. I have no idea if anyone notices, but I have my "A" game. 2 bad limpers, tight ABC player raises, I 3-bet next in the hijack with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], folds to BB (total fish) who calls, both limpers and OR call.

Flop (5 players) (15SB)
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, 2 limpers check, OR checks, I bet, BB folds, both limpers call, OR now check raises , I....
Old 09-25-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Now or later?

I'd go for the 3-bet now. There is a chance that the 2 limpers will now fold facing 2 bets cold, plus the possibility of a cap coming from behind them.

The pot is already big enough that you'd like to take this down as soon as possible. There is a chance that the OR might not bet out again on the turn, and you therefore would not be able to make it anything more than 2 SBs to the field anyways. You can also hope that the OR caps the flop and bets into you again on the turn, allowing you to raise anyways, but have all those extra bets in there.

If more than one person is on the flush draw, then they will all pay a lot to see it miss. Charge them now.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:23 AM

Definately later. I don't think you are folding a gutshot here, and the only hands you will see fold are ones that are drawing slim. I pop the turn no matter what card rolls off.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Now. You might not get the chance on the turn, you have too much pot equity to pass on this oppurtunity to charge the field.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:51 AM

I think this is a CLEAR three bet.

You sometimes just call a CR from your immediate right when it is multiway....if you are certain that the raiser will bet into you on the turn. Then, you can charge the chasers a double turn bet. However, you cannot be certain he will bet the turn (you said he was ABC...he would have bet into you with a hand on the flop hoping you'd raise to clear the field...he has a draw and will check turn if he misses).
Old 09-25-2005, 12:00 PM

Three things I consider in such situations are 1) what is the highest card on the flop;2) do I have top set or not; and 3) how draw-rich is the flop texture.

The high card is important because the lower it is the more likely is is that the turn will be an overcard and thus the more likely that it will discourage the flop bettor from betting out again on the turn. If I have top set, it's unlikely the original bettor has top pair, so again the less likely he'll continue betting on the turn. And when a flop has a flush draw, it might mean the check-raiser is pushing a draw and would not bet if he misses on the turn.

The limpers are probably more likely to call two more small bets on the flop than they are to call two big bets cold on the turn.

The deciding factor here might be that you 3-bet pre-flop. That is, the check-raiser "knew" that you would be betting the flop and would have checked what he sees as a good hand regardless of what he flopped. All things considered, I'd opt for waiting until the turn.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:33 PM

Easy Easy Easy 3 bet on the flop. Waiting till the turn can only lead to disaster. 10-8 10-9, the ace and king of diamonds all peeling here for 1 bet there prolly not calling 2 more back to them on the flop. What if an ace comes on the turn or the guys got 2 black kings and a diamond comes on the turn. Or the last Jack. Lots of cards that kill your action, and if you let the 2 peelers in for 1 bet on the flop they might catch something they like on the turn. Waiting till the turn is suicide.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Three things I consider in such situations are 1) what is the highest card on the flop;2) do I have top set or not; and 3) how draw-rich is the flop texture.

The high card is important because the lower it is the more likely is is that the turn will be an overcard and thus the more likely that it will discourage the flop bettor from betting out again on the turn. If I have top set, it's unlikely the original bettor has top pair, so again the less likely he'll continue betting on the turn. And when a flop has a flush draw, it might mean the check-raiser is pushing a draw and would not bet if he misses on the turn.

The limpers are probably more likely to call two more small bets on the flop than they are to call two big bets cold on the turn.

The deciding factor here might be that you 3-bet pre-flop. That is, the check-raiser "knew" that you would be betting the flop and would have checked what he sees as a good hand regardless of what he flopped. All things considered, I'd opt for waiting until the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having a hard time following you on this. I was surprised by your last sentence, because to me your arguments seemed to support 3-betting the flop.

Does the third paragraph support 3-betting the flop or waiting for the turn? It would seem to make me want to 3-bet the flop.

It seems as though you're saying that because of the 2nd paragraph and the 4th paragraph, the check-raiser might not bet the turn. Is that right?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:15 PM

I 3bet now because of the flush callers needing to be axed, and if all the limpers come in if you call behind then they will almost certainly check through to opening raiser at the turn. If you raise then you'll clear the field anyway, and if a diamond hits you can be in trouble.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:28 PM

I 3 bet. Too many cards will kill your action on the turn, so there is more value raising now. Knocking out weak draws from the limpers is kind of secondary IMO.