Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Check behind on this river?

No reads on villain, but by the river there are very few hands that he is calling with that I beat.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (6.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 07-19-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Check behind on this river?

Fix the action. When using the converter, delete the word "Texas" from the Hand History.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 PM

I am gonna guess there is some information missing here.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:17 PM

There are a lot of worse hands he calls with. You have now counterfeited ANY two pair. A worse king will call here 100% of the time.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:21 PM

Folding is bad. Worse kings and counterfeited slowplayers are going to hit you here sometimes, while you're getting 10-1 on your call.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of worse hands he calls with. You have now counterfeited ANY two pair. A worse king will call here 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he didn't call the river -- he check-raised. I don't know if UTG would do that with any hand that can lose to OP's.

Edit: Whoops. Misread the point of the post -- yeah, I think the value bet is often good here.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:24 PM

I think not betting this river would be a pretty big mistake. You're beating all the other kings and a bunch of hands like 10 9, 10 10, etc... Checking behind on the river would be a little too weak.

Once you get check-raised on the river, barring a lag read, I think this might be the time to make a good fold. Normal players don't check-raise the river with crap. Villain's line is consistent with a flopped Q or even a slowplayed J 10, and I don't see any standard 2/4 opponent making this move with a hand like KJ. I doubt you'll be good here 10% of the time. In a 20BB pot I think a call might be in order but this pot is not that big.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:58 PM

bet and call the raise.
not betting on the river is a big mistake.