Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Default 200+16 on full tilt just now...retarded or understandable???

OK i don't have the hand history because the damn site is like cheap...but here is my best description.

Final table first hand with the blinds 1200/2400 300 ante i think hmmmm what was the blinds???? i am gonna go with 1200/2400. I am one off the button and I have the chip lead with 98k. I have A5o and I raise to 7500 to steal the blinds.
The button with about 38k calls me, and we see a 753 flop...Who bets this??? And if so what is the bet with about 19k in the pot?

Here is my problem really. I bet 15k here and button calls me. This leaves him with less than 11k i think. Now there is like 50k in the pot. The turn is a 3....what do you do here??? I asked myself this...will I call his all in getting 6 to 1 if i check? I said yes so I pushed.

Is this stupid? I am a SNG player mostly but have recently gotten into playing MTT. They are so much more fun.

Well let me know.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: 200+16 on full tilt just now...retarded or understandable???

I have a question for you... what did you put this guy on?

Normally, a straight call of a preflop raise is a small to middle pocket pair. My best guess at this point is that he has 88 or 99. He MAY even have hit his set.

Also, on the flop I'd check here and make a decision based on his bet, which should be forthcoming. Without more information here, I put him on a pocket pair higher than 7. And, quite honestly, I don't want to give away my chip lead on 2nd pair, which happen to be 5s. I'm happy to fold to a bet and get the chips back later.

However, if you feel you can somehow put him on Ax where x is not a 7, you could consider a check raise. A check raise SCREAMS large pocket pair and could push off pocket 8s or 9s as well, IF his bet doesn't commit him to the pot.

If he checks behind you, a free card isn't going to hurt you... you either have him reverse dominated, or you are beat.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
OK i don't have the hand history because the damn site is like cheap...but here is my best description.

Final table first hand with the blinds 1200/2400 300 ante i think hmmmm what was the blinds???? i am gonna go with 1200/2400. I am one off the button and I have the chip lead with 98k. I have A5o and I raise to 7500 to steal the blinds.
The button with about 38k calls me, and we see a 753 flop...Who bets this??? And if so what is the bet with about 19k in the pot?

Here is my problem really. I bet 15k here and button calls me. This leaves him with less than 11k i think. Now there is like 50k in the pot. The turn is a 3....what do you do here??? I asked myself this...will I call his all in getting 6 to 1 if i check? I said yes so I pushed.

Is this stupid? I am a SNG player mostly but have recently gotten into playing MTT. They are so much more fun.

Well let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, this is tough because the button now has position on you, forcing you to act first.

He's put 7500 of his 38K into the pot pre-flop, leaving him with 31K roughly.

You hit middle pair with top kicker. What hands is he likely to have called your pre-flop bet with?

1. Pocket Pair (likely smallish, since he probably would've re-raised with a higher pocket pair, unless he's trying to trap with position)

2. Strong high cards (which would have missed the flop)

I would have raised to about 6K or so, I don't think the 7500 is necessary, and makes it more difficult for you to get away from this hand.

You bet 15K into the 19K pot. He just smooth-called, putting half of his remaining chips into the pot. You now have a pot of 49K and he is pot committed, as are you. There is no way either of you can fold at this point for another 15K.

Lemme guess, he had a pocket pair and/or hit his set or full house on the flop?

His calling is either:

a. The act of a calling station

b. A player who believes his hand is best and is happy to let YOU do all the betting so he doesn't push you out.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 PM

I raise less preflop, 2.5 to 3x Bb depends on antes also. I would lead at pot on flop 1/2 to 2/3 up to you. Then I would probaly check/fold. I dont know though seems very weak but I think you are behind here
Old 07-18-2005, 01:14 AM

not sure if you read my post fully, I raised to 7500 and the blind is 2400...this is 3 times the blind.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:17 AM

wait a second I just re-read your post...you bet like that and then you check fold getting 6 to 1 if he calls you flop bet than pushes to your check???? This doesn't seem like a very good idea. If you bet the flop like that you are commited.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:20 AM

you're right I should have check folded. Even if I thought I might have the best hand. This was my lone mistake in the tournament. god dam I hate myself, I always do something to just fcuk it all up...
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
you're right I should have check folded. Even if I thought I might have the best hand. This was my lone mistake in the tournament. god dam I hate myself, I always do something to just fcuk it all up...

[/ QUOTE ]

We've ALL been there man, every one of us. It's very easy to 2nd guess yourself.

Late in a tourney I had a decent chip stack, raised it up from MP with K/Q of clubs. This donk who limped UTG with A/2 of clubs calls my raise out of position.

The flop is low cards but it pairs the board and brings two clubs. I lead out, he calls. The turn double pairs the board and I'm worried he's got an Ace. The river brings a third club, he checks, I lead out and he smooth calls and I see I'm beat and lose a good portion of my stack on the hand. Ugh.